Injured rooster, help needed ASAP please.

Keggen

Songster
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Minnesota
While closing up the coop tonight my daughter noticed one of our roosters was bleeding heavily on his neck and toes. She came to tell me and I went out to help him. I saw some blood around the roost area where he must have rubbed up against the boards. I put him in a cat carrier and brought him up to the house. He is in the bathroom right now, still in the carrier, with the light off while I figure out what to do.

This is our first injury and I am really unsure what to do. I know I need to get a good look at him to figure out what happened and how bad it is. He seemed normal up on the roost outside, and protested when I picked him up, but I could see the blood on him so I know he was injured. :(

What steps should I take? I know I can't leave him out there while bloody or the other chickens may continue hurting him. I do not have any wrap to use and the farm supply store is closed. I do have regular gauze but I don't know how I would keep it on him. What should I do to make him comfortable? He will be warm being inside and I plan to keep him in the bathroom until tomorrow, but Im going to switch him from the cat carrier to a dog kennel so he has more room. He will need water in there... what am I missing?

Can I use any antibiotic that is safe for people? We have one that is like a triple antibiotic and numbing agent combined. How would I know what is safe for them?

I could run to a 24 hour store to get something if I could get ideas on what is safe for them.
Thanks!

Thank you. I was thinking it wouldnt be a good choice because of the combination thing.

I dont have blu kote or betadine. Do you think Walmart might have them?

Thank you. I was thinking it wouldnt be a good choice because of the combination thing.

I dont have blu kote or betadine. Do you think Walmart might have them?
Walmart has betadine solution but antibiotic ointment is cheaper I think. I believe a wound will need the ointment anyway. The blind leading the blind here....anyone with experience here????

I am going to try to find you a thread....

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help! I got a lot of info from that thread.

I put a bowl of water in his kennel but he just knocked it over. Should I put another one in or let him go the night without water? Will he be ok for 8 hours without water? I have an apple in there for him to eat if he wants. He was eating some earlier and his behavior seems pretty good.

First try cleaning it up with warm water to get a good look at the wound. If it is not a gapping wound apply a thick coating of neosporin or the like or just vaseline, this wil help create a barrier to ward off infection. If you have any antibiotic for the chickens give him some of that. If you have a smaller waterer like a chick waterer that would be best so it doesnt spill if you do not then just try offering him drinks every now and then. He will be fine over night with no water or food. In the am try moistening some of his feed with warm water to get him interested in food. They heal very quickly on their own as long as the wound is not gapping. You did the best thing possible by bringing him inside. He should be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom