Injured rooster leg!

shannon84

Crowing
7 Years
Jun 1, 2016
Indiana
Four days ago my rooster was attacking my husband and he held up his steal toe boots up to keep him off his leg and my rooster flew into his boot and he fell could't walk kept falling face fist. So I picked him up and carried him to his coop and he was able to walk and stand but limped and and it's almost like he lost feeling in his toes and he is still favoring that leg and his toe are not working right. But he still walks around and mates with his hens. What can I do for his leg/foot?! I'm so worried! I don't want him to be permnetly deformed or in pain? Any recommendation will be greatly appreciated . He is my pet and I love him to pieces ! Thanks guys!!!!

Hi, sorry to hear about your Rooster, what you can do is:

Consider a fracture definitely, isolate him him in a separate cage/box and feed him away from the flock. Splint a broken leg using a short length of 2cm wide garden hose, cut longitudinally. Shape end to sit above rear toe. Treat any lacerations, cover with a fabric dressing and gently place splint with opening at rear. Tape in place. Examine the bird weekly. Don't let the bandage get wet. Cotton wool will prevent chafing from the splint. Allow six weeks for recovery.

Hope this all helps,
William

Hi, sorry to hear about your Rooster, what you can do is:

Consider a fracture definitely, isolate him him in a separate cage/box and feed him away from the flock. Splint a broken leg using a short length of 2cm wide garden hose, cut longitudinally.  Shape end to sit above rear toe.  Treat any lacerations, cover with a fabric dressing and gently place splint with opening at rear. Tape in place.  Examine the bird weekly.  Don't let the bandage get wet.  Cotton wool will prevent chafing from the splint.  Allow six weeks for recovery.

Hope this all helps,
William
oh my, okay so you think he very well could of fractured it? It's just him and two hens, he would be devastated if I kept him away from them
1f62c.png
. So even though it's just two hens that live with him he still would need to be separated? I feel like taking him to a vet I'm so scared I'll hurt him worse because he hates being handled. This is an awful situation
1f641.png
thank you so much for your advice. I love the garden hose idea. I'm going to talk this over with my husband.

If you are willing to spend the money on a vet, and get xrays, you could hold him while taking him to the vet or place him in a small crate. They could rule it out, or set it and splint it. It not, then I would try setting the leg. If it's not broken but sprained, he might need confined near his hens. He will probably eat better if they are near him.

If you are willing to spend the money on a vet, and get xrays, you could hold him while taking him to the vet or place him in a small crate. They could rule it out, or set it and splint it. It not, then I would try setting the leg. If it's not broken but sprained, he might need confined near his hens. He will probably eat better if they are near him.
I'm so new to chickens I don't know how to set a leg. He acts great other than the occasional limps and his toes won't unfold sometimes while walking. Hopefully it's a sprain. I'll give him one more day and hopefully I'll have the guts to set and splint his leg
1f62c.png
1f629.png
this will be a challenge because he hates being touched. I wish there was a way to make a chicken stay perfectly still ugh . I keep everyone updated on Franklin's leg
1f61f.png
thanks guys! You all are the best on BYC
1f600.png

Make sure you start some poultry vitamins in his water or crush a human B Complex tablet in his food. That can help sometimes. Splinting can be harmful if you don't do it correctly or wrap it too tight, so I wouldn't attempt it if you don't feel comfortable. Vet wrap and padding are what I would use for splinting. Popsicle sticks can be used with those. When do anything to a rooster, I use a head flashlight at night, and grab them off the roost while they are asleep. Roosters are more high strung and I do less to them than hens. Keeping them in a smaller area for a few days might help him to limit his activity. If roosts are high, you could remove them or temporarily lower them to 18 inches or less., so he doesn't put more strain on it.

Make sure you start some poultry vitamins in his water or crush a human B Complex tablet in his food. That can help sometimes. Splinting can be harmful if you don't do it correctly or wrap it too tight, so I wouldn't attempt it if you don't feel comfortable. Vet wrap and padding are what I would use for splinting. Popsicle sticks can be used with those. When do anything to a rooster, I use a head flashlight at night, and grab them off the roost while they are asleep. Roosters are more high strung and I do less to them than hens. Keeping them in a smaller area for a few days might help him to limit his activity. If roosts are high, you could remove them or temporarily lower them to 18 inches or less., so he doesn't put more strain on it.
ok, I do have human vitamin B-complex. So 1 tablet in his food? I read something about that I think. To help heal the bone? Yeah I wouldn't know what to do the setting and splinting . I do have plenty of head flashlights so that would work out good if I need to capture him off the roost at night. I'm going to crush him up a b complex right now! Thank you so much! I don't see any actual injury to his leg so I'm wondering if it's higher up.

Sounds good. I hope it is just a sprain as well. Time will tell, and hopefully he will get more feeling into his toes. Give us an update later on as to how well he heals.

Sounds good. I hope it is just a sprain as well. Time will tell, and hopefully he will get more feeling into his toes. Give us an update later on as to how well he heals.
hi eggcessive, thank you so much. But I talked to my husband again about the incident with Franklin, he said he is pretty sure that Frank hit his breast meat on his steal toed boots
1f62c.png
so I don't know if that's worse or better than his leg. He is a buff Orpington rooster so he isn't a dainty little thing. I'm just hoping it's badly bruised or something. Hopefully not pinched nerve or anything. Time will tell though like you said.....Thanks so much again you've been very helpful! I'll keep you updated
1f642.png

We had a rooster once who was gorgeously handsome. He started running at us when our backs were turned. I started using a walking stick at my side, and never turned my back on him, which really helped. Husband did the kicking bit once or twice, but that usually doesn't help. They think they are protecting their hens. It is not a good thing especially if you have kids or grandkids going into the chickens yard to have a rooster like that. Now my roosters stay very clear of me or anyone going into the yard. They are different breeds, good to their girls, but afraid of us. I miss my first handsome fellow who made the mistake of attacking our house sitter who wore a pink chenille robe into the coop to let them out one morning. Roosters can be handled sometimes, but husbands, not so much, LOL. Hopefully your buff orp will recover, and I hope so.

Back
Top Bottom