1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured Rooster looses balance

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Tammyp71, Mar 25, 2016.

1. Tammyp71

Tammyp71 New Egg

Oct 19, 2015
    2 days ago my rooster was attached by a neighborhood dog wandering into our yard. It was pretty superficial tooth mark to the back with a few missing feathers, and he was able yesterday to mingle with his girls as usual. Well this morning i find him out in the pen bloody and unable to maintain his balance walking. I cleaned him up and bandaged his wound, which is still pretty superficial, although a little worse from yesterday....but he is missing most of his tail feathers and has a bandaged wrapped around his belly now (coban holding a guaze in place). Could the lack of tail feathers be causing his imbalance? I know the feel of the bandage probably doesnt help, but before I put that on he was wobbly. He seems mentally fine, just unable to maintain balance.

2. Tammyp71

Tammyp71 New Egg

Oct 19, 2015
    I need to add the fact he is a little worse today is because his girls were picking at him.

3. FeatherBee

FeatherBee Out Of The Brooder

hello, I am so sorry to hear about your rooster, I am not too sure what would be causing him to wobble, I had a rooster that lost all his tail feathers from a Goanna but he could still walk fine, but I suppose different breeds have different ways of balancing, I do however know that having a bandage on them can effect their balance but as you said he was wobbly before that, dose he seem to have a limp or is favouring one leg more? he might have a strained or injured muscle or something. Keep doing what you are, I'm sure that is going to help. You are on the right track!

4. Hi
    I had a neighborhood dog kill three of my chickens and injure two others about a week ago, so I can relate to you.
    I recommend that you separate your rooster before he gets peaked worse. Put him in a dark quiet place with dry clean bedding, for the first week put betadine on the wound. After that some antibiotic would be good. I wish the best for you and your rooster!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by