Injured Rooster - Loser in battle for position of "top cock"

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KCNC06, Jan 23, 2012.

1. KCNC06

KCNC06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Central NC
    Our relatively small flock of 16 chickens includes four roosters. The three oldest roosters have been together since they were day old chicks and get along surprisingly well. Our favorite rooster, a bantam splash cochin, has been top cock of the flock from a VERY early age and the other two roosters don't seem to object. These three roosters are almost two years old and are actually quite friendly even to us humans.

The problem male is our cockerel "mutt" that one of our hens hatched last spring. He's never been nice, has the look of the devil in his eyes, crows literally all day and night...our least favorite creature ever. Disliking him isn't the problem we're having now. The problem is he apparently is not okay with the cochin roo being top cock anymore and decided to challenge him for this position. Both boys came out looking pretty bad but I'm not concerned about young roo. This was the last straw with him...he's going "up the road", I'm hoping my husband takes care of that guy before the rest of the crew is ready to roost for the night.

Now I'm not sure what to do about my favorite roo. His white head and neck feathers are stained red and pink from blood. I don't think it's safe for him to be in the coop with the rest of the flock tonight since he probably smells pretty strongly of blood and I don't want the rest of the flock pecking him to death tonight. I managed to catch him in my chicken catching net, but he got away from me before I got a chance to look him over. He's still walking around the yard eating like normal but he seemed to be keeping his distance from the rest of the flock. I don't know how bad his injuries are. I'm hoping to be able to grab him once he settles down for the night and is easier to grab. I'm guessing I'll have to give him a bath to wash the blood off and doubt that he's going to be too happy about that. I'm not sure where I can keep him for the night. We don't really have room for him in the house but I think it's going to be too cold to put him in a crate in the garage or shed.

If I manage to give him a bath and find somewhere for him to keep warm tonight while he dries off my next question is how long do I need to keep him separated from the rest of the flock? I don't want to keep him separated too long, but don't want to put him back too soon if the others are likely to peck at any wounds that they might be able to sniff out. (Remember, the challenging cockerel will NOT be around to beat this guy up again!) We've kept sick hens in our bathroom for a few days in the past but I can't see keeping a rooster in the bathroom going over too well. Unless being in a strange environment keeps him from crowing, I doubt anyone in our house would be able to sleep if we have to share our living space with this guy.

Any advice anyone can pass along will be appreciated!

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I would not separate him at this point or he will lose his standing in the flock. It doesn't matter that his biggest challenger is leaving; there are 2 other roos waiting in the wings for him to show some weakness. Bathe him, blow dry him, Blukote him and put him back in the flock. Unless he is still actively bleeding, I would not keep him out of the flock. Blukote can hide a multitude of ills.

Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by