Injured rooster need advice

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by H38210, Apr 25, 2008.

1. H38210

H38210 New Egg

Apr 25, 2008
    Two days ago something attacked rooster. It is still alive but has damage to head and body. Part of bill is missing. Will it regrow? Scabs all over his head so can't tell if eyes are damaged. He is taking water from eye dropper. Any advice and/or suggestions on what to feed him (liquid). Soy milk, baby formula or?

2. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Keep his wounds clean. Put neosporin on them. Sometimes honey works well too on wounds. Keep him a warm quiet place away from the other birds. Offer him food. If he can't see the food, he might not eat it. I would make a mixture of honey and water and put a bit at the end of his beak. He might take in a bit that way. Poor thing. Thoughts and prayers for you and yours.
    Jody

3. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Can you possibly post pics so folks here can be most helpful? (there are threads here somewhere on how to do that).

Is your roo in a quiet, comfortable (not too cold, not too hot, bedding he can rest on), absolutely stress free area right now? He needs to be. If he has a favorite hen, she can be with him so long as she's not pecking at him - must watch closely.

High risk of him being dehydrated. Try anything to make sure that doesn't happen, including the eyedropper like you are doing, carefully making sure he doesn't choke - very slowly dripping the water along his beak, stopping if he gets stressed and then start again when he's calm for a bit. If he's eating at all, you might try small cut up fruit - like apple, melon, berries - for the moisture and to give him somehting interesting to live for - it's not nutritionally complete but right now dehydration is a bigger worry. He may need electrolytes to help with stress - pedialyte in a pinch - small amounts till someone comes along and offers proper dose. I have sometimes dipped fruit in electrolytes like this and then fed them - watermelon works well for this.

Topical neosporin on any surficial wounds, right away because if it's been 2 days he is probably already suffering from infection.

He may need oral or injectable antibiotic if he has any deep wounds. Someone will come along with specifics on that.

He is probably also in pain. Water with aspirin can help but don't use that if you've got anything else in his water. Can make separate batch and slowly drip a bit onto his beak. Usual does is 5 regular (325 mg) aspirin (NO SUBSTITUES) crushed per gallon of water. If he is bleeding significantly do not do this.

You might try a scrambled egg if you can get him to eat (can scramble an egg in a ceramic mug, add one tablespoon water), partially cover and microwave for 30 or 45 seconds or so. Serve when cooled. Break into small pieces to make easy for him. Mine don;t like oatmeal but many birds do so that's another possibility.

As to the beak damage, pics would help but right now, stabilizing him, and getting his pain and wounds under control and ensuring he avoids dehyration are first steps.

I hope the poor boy will be alright. Please keep us posted.
    JJ

4. Ga Chicken Mom

Ga Chicken Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2007
    Can you post a picture? The wounds should be cleaned with diluted betadine - careful not to get any in his eyes. After cleaning, apply triple antibiotic salve to wounds. I don't know about his beak. If he has puncture wounds he probably needs antibiotic by injection or mouth. Someone should be able to tell you type and dosage. For feeding I would hard boil an egg, take half the yolk, mash it up with a little yogurt and add some kind of electrolyte solution (pediolyte) to make a liquid you can force through the eyedropper. The roo should be in a cage by himself with additional heat to keep him warm. I would use paper towels for bedding so you can change them easily as they become soiled. Continue to give him water so he doesn't dehydrate. You can also do a search for additional info on wound care.

5. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I hope you were able to check these posts earlier and that your roo is okay. How goes it?
    JJ

6. H38210

H38210 New Egg

Apr 25, 2008
    A few minutes ago I got a call from Maryland regarding Roo's condition. Unfortanately he just passed away in owners arms. She was pretty upset over passing but wanted me to thank you for your thoughts and wishes.

7. jjthink

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    I'm soooo sorry.......poor fellow.
    JJ

8. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Please let her know that I am sorry, it is truly a difficult thing to loose anyone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by