Injured rooster on the mend and growing new feathers that are BLEEDING! WHAT?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by pikecochickens, Dec 12, 2012.

1. pikecochickens

pikecochickens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2012
    My rooster was recently mauled by my bird dog. The rooster survived and is back to his old self. He lost a lot of feathers from the accident and they are growing back in. My rooster has a few feathers from his wing that are growing in and they are bleeding. It's not dark old blood, but rather bright red blood. First...is this normal? Also, his hen is pecking at it. Is that normal too or should I seperate them?

This is our first set of chickens and we are clueless. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

New feathers growing in have blood in them, and other chickens love to peck at them. It's totally normal, but you might have to separate him until his feathers grow enough not to have the base exposed. You can also try things like Blue Kote to deter picking. Good luck [​IMG]

3. Nutcase

Nutcase Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Australia
    My Coop
    I have heard that chickens are naturally attracted to the colour red, which would help to explain the pecking, but I am not sure of its reliability...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by