Injured rooster..... what to do?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tgblldog70, Nov 10, 2011.

1. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Well this morning our mastiff got a hold of our rooster and pulled out a ton of back feathers and cut him just above the middle tallon. He has let us pick him up and inspect him. No punture wounds which is a miricle. but he is hobbling a bit, he will take a few steps then want to sit down. We currently have him in our back bathroom. He is doing okay there but we can tell he is wanting to be with his ladies. Is it okay to put him in the coop with his girls for the night or keep him seperate in the house? He is very alert, our vet said it is up to us, and that if he is not better or getting worse by tomorrow he may have to put him down. I really dont want that but I also dont want him to be stressing that he is seperate from his flock which wont help with recovery either. please let us know what you think. Thanks

2. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    I would put him back in the coop as long there is no open wounds but would put some anti-biotic in the cut above his talon. He probably just got ruffed up(no pun intended) and would keep an eye on him the next few days. If eventually he cant manage with the limp if it doesnt go away then maybe consider putting him down. But I would stay vigilant on the the anti biotic until it scabs over good. A chicken coop is a bacteria heaven and could easily infect him. I had a hens skin ripped off by my rooster,seperated her for a few days and kept anti on it,after about 4 days it filmed over and put her back. Scar tissue has grown over it and even feathers are growing back in partly do to molting since the problem. She was even laying thru the whole ordeal.

3. tgblldog70

tgblldog70 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Thanks for the advice. Hubby did put him back out there. I will continue with the cleaning of his cut. We found that our dog did receive a few puncture wounds so at least Rocky did get his digs in; that is what probably saved him.

4. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    It sounds like you're doing everything right for him [​IMG]

Roos are tough little cusses. If he's bright-eyed and eating, I'd give him at least a week to heal up a bit. I don't see a reason to put him down unless his health declines. Chickens recover from some amazing wounds to go on to live full lives.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by