Injured rooster won't eat or drink

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kbird, Feb 29, 2012.

1. kbird

kbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Galena, Maryland
    My favorite rooster was injured 2 days ago. He never came back to the coup that night and I found him the next morning sitting in the woods, not moving. Both eyes were shut and one badly swollen. Not sure if a predator got him or one of my other two younger roos. I have him confined now, have flushed his eyes and comb with a sterile saline solution and put gentamicin sulfate drops in both eyes. He opened one eye yesterday, but I don't think he can see that well. He's walking around and crowing but has no interest in food or water. Any suggestions to get him to eat and drink? Thank you!!

[​IMG]

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks like one of the boys wants to be boss. It's not unusual for one to sull up after getting his clock cleaned. Believe it or not, this one doesn't look too bad, maybe because you cleaned him up. He should be fine in a week or so and should start eating/drinking soon. Don't worry, happens in my yard frequently. He'll be fine.......Pop

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    If you want to get some liquids in him, maybe use an eyedropper and drip some elecrolyte/vitamin water into his beak. Maybe that will help him feel better....poor guy :(

4. kbird

kbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2010
    Galena, Maryland
    Thanks for the encouraging words Lollipop! He's such a gentle, sweet rooster and such a gentleman to the hens. Can they survive without food/water for a week? I just tried giving him water with a small syringe and it looked like he got a little. I tried feeding him his favorite treat - bread - but he wouldn't take it. Should I keep on doing that or just let him drink/eat when he's ready?

Leadwolf1, thanks for the suggestion! I think he took a little water. Better than nothing at all! [​IMG]

5. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Yeah!!! I think they can go for quite some time without food but water is necessity...at least in my book. Keep trying to give him a little boost with vitamins and electrolytes. I'm sure that it will make both him and you feel better [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by