Injured rooster won't let me treat him!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katdam, Aug 22, 2010.

1. katdam

katdam Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    texas
    yesterday afternoon one of my roosters decided to fly out of the bachelor pad while we were finishing the top of the run....of course my 3 pitbulls were waiting for him...thank goodness he had a lot of feathers..only one of my dogs wanted to eat him, the other two just wanted to chase...he was able to get a mouth full of feathers from the backend including some stub from the tail....my rooster got away until my dog was able to spit the feathers out...well he pinned him down until i was able to get to him and kick him off...to my surprise he let go and my rooster was still alive...carried him to the bathroom...his injuries are two puncture wounds to the back...has a stump for a tail...has "road rash" on his chest, which i can see the bottom of his crop...i believe he has another wound somwere around his thigh area..he has a small limp going on...while he was still dazed i was able to clean what i could see and pack the holes with antiobotic cream..he ate a little yogurt and went to bed...this morning he let me somewhat clean the wounds on his back and put more cream on...couldn't do anything with his stump and he wouldn't let me look at his chest to check on his crop...i was able to clip some feathers away from the back wounds....he's drinking water but not eating like he should...as of right now he doesn't want me close to him..he has already pecked my hand hard and i don't know if i'm going to be able to traet his back wounds anymore.. i don't want to stress him out by forcing him to get treated...he has been pooping..last night it was solid with white crest like it should be...today a little runny with some grass in it tinted yellowish..no blood in it...i have no idea if he has internal injuries....i do have some metcam...i just don't know how much to give him..i also have some clavamox (amoxicillin trihydrate\\clavulanate potassium) but don't know if its safe for chickens or the dosage for it either....i don't know what to do [​IMG]

2. katdam

May 19, 2010
    texas
    can anyone give me any suggestions? i noticed when he drinks water i can here on odd noise..could his crop be "dislocated"?

3. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    not sure what to tell ya so ill give ya a bump.. [​IMG]

4. limpychick

limpychick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2008
    Smithfield Virginia
    I'm not sure what to tell you, except to say that it is amazing what chickens can make it through. A friend gave me a Black Star hen that her boxers had attacked. She didn't give her to me until a month after the attack. When I got her, she limped and had an odor, but I couldn't find it. After a week, I finally found 2 very infected puncture wounds in her thigh. There was also an open wound that went into her body cavity. I don't know how she was alive. I treated her with antibiotics and cleaned the wounds very good, packed them with neosporin and she was fine.
    Good luck

5. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    not really sure..... the wound over the crop sounds concerning. you can usually buy antibiotic powders to go in their water at the feedstore... I would say keep him warm and quiet as much as possible , feed egg, yogurt , maybe squirt a tiny bit of gatorade in his water?
    just remember don't use anything with "caine" pain relievers

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    You just have to do it.. whether he likes it or not..
    Use a towel to control him.(kinda like you would with a parrot).. Put it around his wings and or over his head so he cant peck you...
    And i swear by blu-kote spray.... that stuff works wonders for wounds...

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  7. katdam

May 19, 2010
    texas
    he feels good enough to attack me as soon as i opened the bathroom door this morning...his poop still looks normal....he jumped on the counter to look at himself in the mirror last night....i guess this might turn into a two man operation...apperently he's not too stressed out since he attacked me...i'm going to get some blu-kote today and soak him in it!!!! thanks for helping!!!!

8. katdam

May 19, 2010
    texas
    we double teamed him yesterday and he is now a blue rooster!!!! one of his puncture wounds had a layer of skin already growing back so that was a relieve. i still couldn't get a real good look at his chest\\crop injury....he still makes a stomach growling noise when he drinks....he clucks fine, but his crow is very hoarse like he'd been smoking cigs....he tried his best to tear my husbands leg off after he sprayed him (i held him)...to me it looks like their riding in a rodeo trying to hang on for 8 seconds!!!! now the task of getting the blue-kote of the bathroom counter and my fingers....my husband discovered the staining warning AFTER we sprayed everything!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by