Injured rooster

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chickens4lyfe20, Sep 11, 2015.

1. chickens4lyfe20

chickens4lyfe20 New Egg

Sep 11, 2015
    So my Rooster Protein is very large, and sits on our deck at night because he isn't light enough to fly onto the high tree branches that the rest of my flock sleep on. He poops everywhere. Everyone has been fed up with it, so my neighbor got a little drunk and tried to throw him up to the tree branch where the others were, thinking he would fly up there. Well, he didn't, and he landed hard on the ground, and limped away. We are worried he might be hurt. What can we do?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    edited

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Your birds should be locked up in a coop at night not sleeping in trees, where predators can eat them. Birds do not like to move around in the dark and are sitting ducks for owls and other night time preds. I think you also should file a police report against your neighbor for cruelty to animals and public intoxication.

4. N F C

N F C dem crazy bones Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    x2 on drumstick diva's comments. He needs a proper coop to sleep in (as do the other birds). If you can get your roo to a vet, please do so and your neighbor should pay the bill. If you can't take your rooster to a vet, give him a complete examination and post his symptoms on the emergencies forum (pictures might help along with a description of his injuries).
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

In the future, please do not allow your neighbor to touch your birds.

5. trailrider330

trailrider330 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Midwest America
    Welcome to the BYC flock! We are glad you joined us!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

x3 on Drumstick Diva's comment. Time for a coop and be sure to keep your neighbors away from your birds in the future.

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    x3

7. SamarasChickens

SamarasChickens New Egg

May 18, 2014
    Virginia
    My rooster was recently attacked by a animal I am assuming it was a dog because it was day time. I thought I had lost him to the attack but he returned the next day. My two hens did not :( his back is missing feathers and I can see the meat of it. How do I help him?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by