Injured Rooster

Jun 18, 2018
I have a one and a half year old rooster who was recently injured by a dog. He had five puncture wounds and was completely defeathered from head to tail on his back. I have been nursing him back to health for about three weeks now. Two days ago I noticed he was not really moving around much and still had a large scab on his back. Yesterday he was again in one place most of the morning. I soaked him in a warm bath with a bit of dawn dishwashing liquid. That is when I peeled back the scab, as it was only attached in one place, and found some infection underneath. I washed the area, gave him 1/4 cc of penicillin and sprayed the area with antiseptic ointment. This morning he is much improved but has left a lot of Kelly green poop. I released him from the cage where we were keeping him isolated and he crowed a few times and immediately hopped off to join the others. Should I be concerned about the super green poop? It is firm with a bit of white but very green. Thank you for any advice!

He was doing well or so I thought. He had an injury to his leg that we didnt notice and is now infected. I just scrubbed it out with soap and water and applied the blue spray. Will be giving another shot of penicillin tomorrow morning. I feel so bad that I missed this injury! The hubs thinks it is a new cut but I’m still feeling very guilty. Ugh! This guy just alerted me to a coyote three days ago, survived the dog attack and who knows what else before we rescued him. He is a fighter, in the positive sense as well, it would seem. I’m praying he doesn’t lose the leg.

My rooster’s leg has still not healed. He has been thru three rounds of penicillin and the leg is still oozing puss and smells like death. I clean it every few days and spray it with antiseptic spray but nothing has worked. Just when I think it’s healed he gets sick to the point of death. The vet said it was healed two months ago but we’ve had to confine him and give him meds twice since then. Does anyone have a suggestion?? I’m considering putting him down to end his suffering. Any advice appreciated!

Ok, i'd clean as much of the pus and nastiness as possible from the leg really get as much as you can out. Then treat the wound again, this time though get some manuka honey and apply to the wound it will be slightly pricey but it is very good stuff and works well on infected punctures. It has worked in quite a few last ditch effort birds for me.
Injectable

Back
Top Bottom