Injured Rooster

Rudyrama

Hatching
Jul 4, 2020
My grown rooster is injured. He has one foot he won’t put any weight on, but the other has injuries, too. Last night I brought him inside, soaked his feet in Epsom salt solution, removed the largest scabs, Washed the wounds with vetericyn and applied antibiotic ointment. He is still eating and drinking. Does anyone have any advice, please? This is my first bird with injuries...
10AC6B77-5631-40AB-B049-FB221204EFDC.jpeg
09EFF24D-5414-4B1D-87A3-ECD81E0B2DA9.jpeg

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
9 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
How was he injured? Do you see any swelling, redness, green bruising, any break in the skin, or displacement of bones? For wounds, I would clean with Vetericyn, weak betadine or Hibiclens and water, and apply some antibiotic ointment twice a day. Is he separated from others? I would make sure that he can reach food and water.

Rudyrama

Hatching
Jul 4, 2020
How was he injured? Do you see any swelling, redness, green bruising, any break in the skin, or displacement of bones? For wounds, I would clean with Vetericyn, weak betadine or Hibiclens and water, and apply some antibiotic ointment twice a day. Is he separated from others? I would make sure that he can reach food and water.
Yes, he’s separated and in the house with food and water. I Have two roosters separated by wire fence and I think he injured himself on the wire “communicating” with the other rooster. No greenness or displaced bones that I can tell. I cleaned and treated again this morning so we’ll see...

northerngracema

In the Brooder
Aug 19, 2020
North Quabbin, MA
@Rudyrama How is your boy doing?

We combined two smaller groups of roosters into a proper flock this summer and I would say that almost all of them had similar looking foot injuries for the first month or so. We also soaked in epsom salt solution and used vetericyn and similar products on several of them for a week or so and they all have pretty much cleared up at this point. None of them were avoiding putting weight on their feet but a few seemed tender when we handled them.

I think as long as nothing started swelling or showing signs of infection you are probably ok. Even with bone fractures for instance, one of our girls broke and healed a toe without us noticing because the skin was never broken. It healed a bit wonky but apparently quickly and she does not seem to mind it. She can still scratch and perch and everything just fine.

Top Bottom