Injured rooster

GregnLety

Crossing the Road
Oct 15, 2021
Somerville, TX
Our big gray rooster suffered an injury or a bite from something and his left eye is swollen shut. Cleaned his injury with salt water and put some antibiotics in his water. He still eats, crows and mates the hens so fingers crossed it's not life threatening.

Attachments

• 20211017_122804.jpg
    20211017_122804.jpg
    501.3 KB · Views: 8
Does his eye look intact or can you see it well enough because of swelling? I would use some Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment in the eye twice a day. If you see pus developing, it may need to be removed.

We put neosporin on it and the eye looks good. We plan to clean and dress the eye a couple times a day and have him in a cage in our home so the other roosters can't get to him. I appreciate the advice and will take him to the vet if he doesn't make a turnaround. Fortunately our vets treat chickens or anything you bring in.

He's looking much better this evening. The swelling has gone down and he is opening his eye partially. Fingers crossed that Cholo is on the right path. 🐓

Does his eye look intact or can you see it well enough because of swelling? I would use some Terramycin eye ointment or plain Neosporin ointment in the eye twice a day. If you see pus developing, it may need to be removed.
Appreciate the advice. Bought the Terramycin and after 2 days of treatment he is back to normal. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom