Injured Rooster....

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Nohoka, Aug 9, 2010.

1. Nohoka

Nohoka Out Of The Brooder

I found our young Cuckoo Maran Rooster favoring his leg yesterday. I'm not sure if he fell off the roost during the night or if he got pecked by a hen. He's about 4 months old, a big beautiful guy. He tries to put weight on it but then quickly pulls it back up to his body. Anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do for him?[​IMG]

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Check the bottom of his foot to see if there's a black in color round scab. If there is....it's bumblefoot. Type 'bumblefoot' in the search box,there's alot of info on it if that's the case. If it's not bumblefoot, it could be a sprain in which case you're going to have to put him somewhere he can be off his leg (not running around etc) and rest it til it heals on its own. A 'hospital' cage would be good for rest and relaxation.

3. Nohoka

Nohoka Out Of The Brooder

Okay, thanks, we'll check his foot. My husband looked at it this morning and said he couldn't see anything wrong with it. Would a splint help? I will isolate him right away. I hope he gets better, he's such a great Rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by