Injured Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mallisa, Jul 9, 2011.

1. Mallisa

Mallisa Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    Fairview, nc
    I have a 3 year old roo. who's 1 year old son decided to buck up on. He has an injured eye (not sure it's still there) Otherwise seems fine except a bloody comb. Eating and drinking and crowing as loudly as ever( in my basement now ). I have tylan and clavamox. Which would be more beneficial to fight infection? Also have metacam for inflamation and pain.

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Mallissa, just make sure that no flies lay their eggs in the wounds and leave him alone. They heal by themselves marvelously..........Pop

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Oh yeah, I had the young son who wanted to kill his daddy. They go straight for the face and eyes when it's serious business. You'll have to keep them separated otherwise he'll kill the daddy for sure.

4. Mallisa

Jul 9, 2011
    Fairview, nc
    Thanks. He is in and hopefully flies won't bother him. Hop he still has his eye. Right now he looks like Rocky Balboa.

5. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Poor guy. I had a year old brute of a son trying to kill his eight year old lamed up daddy. The daddy knew he was done for if I didn't protect him. He'd run anywhere he could hide his head. He was a big guy too. Sad thing is the daddy was never that mean to the son. The young one did turn out to be a real good rooster though in the long run so I was glad I hung on to him. I had to put his daddy down a couple months later so I would have been out of luck. I think what set it off was stress. We had two hens die recently and not enough hens. We had just given away the young one's half brother whom he had just begun spilling blood with. Then we had the sick daddy. I've heard they kill off the sick sometimes because they think they'll attract predators. I don't know, it's awful what they do sometimes. [​IMG]

6. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Oh, BTW, if you do have flies on his face, it might be a good idea to dab some SWAT on with a Q-Tip.

7. Mallisa

Jul 9, 2011
    Fairview, nc
    Thanks. The predator thing makes sense. Daddy has been living with an injured toe and is a real sweetheart. Also a lady's man because the hens usually flock to him. The son has always been picked on a little by the game roosters he was raised with but nothing serious. Everyone pretty much stuck to their own niche in the flock until a few days ago when dad and son got into a spat and dad tore a spur off. brought him in for 2 nights to give him some rest and he was back with the flock for 2 days before his eye injury. Think maybe the son went after him because he was too chicken (haha) to go after the young games who would have torn him a new one..... Now have to build another coop for dad. Woohoo:(

8. chkn

Jun 27, 2010
    Aaahhhh yes, I remember, my hens loved the daddy too and after all the son's attempt to please the ladies failed (and he tried real hard believe me), he went after the daddy. Yes I think that was the last straw.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by