Injured rooster!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pinky91, Oct 10, 2011.

1. pinky91

pinky91 New Egg

Oct 10, 2011
    Please help!. My 6 month old buff rooster got attcked by another rooster. He now has something hard protruding from just under his wattle area. This is causing him to not eat or drink unless I hand feed. This is my first flock and I have no idea what to do for my poor big bird! His comb is also a little blue and falling over.

2. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Poor guy. I think you didn't get many responses right away because people are not sure what is protruding under his wattle area. Does he have many wounds? You can put neosporin on them after you clean them up.

Did you separate him from the flock so her can recuperate?

Keep hand feeding him. If you post a picture of the protrusion, we may be able to give more feedback. You might need to post 10 times before you can load a photo though.

3. pinky91

pinky91 New Egg

Oct 10, 2011
    Well thank you for your reply, but unfortuntley I had to put him down. Even with me feeding him he wasn't able to get enough and would chock on his water. I'm pretty sure he broke a bone and it was keeping him from being able to swallow correctly. RIP Big Bird [​IMG]

4. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    I'm sorry. It is always a tough choice to make, but clearly he was suffering.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by