Injured Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CountryAgain, Sep 20, 2012.

1. CountryAgain

CountryAgain Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2012
    Georgia
    My 12 week old BR rooster was roughed up by my dogs and/or the older chickens in the flock yesterday. Normally, we let the chickens out to free-range every day after work. The younger chickens free-range in a fenced in area and the dogs are not let in unless we are out there. Unfortunately, yesterday, the dogs were allowed to stay in the fenced in area with the chickens unsupervised. This became a lesson learned.....don't leave the dogs in a fenced in area with the chickens unsupervised! Anyway, back to the injured rooster. We found him lying in the grass looking around. His feathers were "ruffled". My son picked him up and inspected him and didn't find any blood or wounds, but we can tell something is wrong with him. He did not try to get away like he usually does. His tail feathers are stiff and matted, and they are drooping (not standing up like the other roosters). He stands or lies down and keeps his eyes closed most of the time. We don't think it is life-threatening at this point because he is eating, drinking, pooping, and walking. But it just seems like he is injured. I let him out in a grassy area today and he ate grass and bugs, but I had to "fight off" the older chickens. They wanted to attack him. The younger chickens (his siblings) don't act like there is anything wrong. Does anyone have any advice for me? We are new to chicken raising and still learning what to do and what NOT to do.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Keep him seperated from the other roosters or they will severely injure or kill him. Once he heals, you're still going to have to keep him seperated from the other roosters. The others will gang up on him again and try to kill him. Perhaps you can put him in his own pen with his own hens seperated from the others...this would be your best bet.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  3. CountryAgain

Aug 20, 2012
    Georgia
    The older chickens (2 roosters and a hen) are in separate pens than the younger ones (2 roosters and 6 hens), but they free-range together. I will start letting the injured rooster out while the older chickens are still locked up and then lock him up before I let them out. The older hen is more sneaky about attacking the injured rooster. She acts like she doesn't know he's there and then jumps on him. She is very aggressive with the younger chickens. There is no doubt she will be the dominant hen. The dominant rooster doesn't attack the younger chickens, which we thought was odd because we thought he would show his dominance over them but he seems to watch out for them instead.

4. CountryAgain

Aug 20, 2012
    Georgia
    Update....the rooster died yesterday. :-(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by