Injured Roosters - Bully Rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Tara Kay, Jan 14, 2015.

1. Tara Kay

Tara Kay New Egg

Feb 6, 2014
    We have a lot of chickens in our yard, we feed them cracked corn everyday. They are free range chickens that roam the neighborhood and sleep in my neighbors mango tree. There is one bully rooster that keeps attacking the roosters same age as him. He took out the eye of one and broke/injured the leg of another. The injured roosters are in two separate cages, the one missing an eye has healed good, the one with an injured foot still can't put pressure on it and has it curled up. I wanted to put them down when they got hurt to be honest. I didn't want them to suffer. Now they are just living in a cage watching the other chickens go by and the bully rooster attacks one of the cages nonstop. He bites the rooster and jumps on the cage trying to knock it over. Basically what im getting at is i feel bad for them in the cages getting terrorized by the rooster and want to take them to get euthanized, but my husband doesnt want me to. He wants them in the cages for the rest of their lives. I don't know what to do. I'd really like to get rid of the bully rooster amd let the caged ones go, but we can't catch him. Sorry for the rambling, but I'm so distraught over this. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    [​IMG] The caged roosters will need something called grit asap or they will die. Call a rescue, animal control, DNR, wildlife troopers or whatever your state has.Explain the feral chicken problem and see what they recommend. If you want to keep them, you'll have to learn how to take care of them in a hurry! They may be very unhealthy if they are feral, it's a big risk and a lot of work for you. Roosters can be very dangerous as well.They have sharp beaks,claws and spurs that can cause you serious injury. Be careful. Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by