1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured roosters

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bixbyforever, Jan 24, 2013.

1. bixbyforever

bixbyforever New Egg

Jan 24, 2013
    Indiana
    Hi! im new to the forum and a relatively new at keeping chickens(less than a year). I have three roosters, two of which got into a pretty nasty fight. I'm keeping them in separate dog crates in my garage until their wounds heal but I noticed today that one of them has unusual droppings and I'm wondering if he has worms. I'm attaching a photo. If anyone could help diagnose this guy, it would be really helpful. [​IMG]

2. Jakenhoss

Jakenhoss Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm not really sure by the pic, but I had my two boys get in to a REAL bad fight this morning and the one that got it the worst I had to bring into the house where it's warmer. While I was cleaning him he poo'd and it was a lot like the one in your pic. I think it is from all of the stress from the fight. Prior to the fight his poo was normal. My Tocayo is just hanging on. I had to feed him water with a syring and I am going to fix him some scrambled eggs but I doubt he will eat them if he isn't drinking on his own. I hope your roos will be alright.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2013
  3. bixbyforever

bixbyforever New Egg

Jan 24, 2013
    Indiana
    Thanks for the response. Your Roos sound like they roughed each other up a little more than mine. I had to do some warm compresses on one guy's eye for a couple of days to get it to open up and after cleaning their combs up the best I could, I put some triple antibiotic on them. I'm a little afraid that Dr. Spooky 's (my favorite. a black frizzle.) comb is necrotic in the front, but I'm hoping it's just scabbed. I think this whole thing is kind of my fault. My hen to roo ratio is a little low (9 hens 3 roos) but they were fine with each other until the other day. Now I'm thinking I should re-home two of them.
    Thanks again for the reply and I hope your Tocayo gets well soon!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by