injured roosterWe have an older rooster

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hwally, Jan 16, 2009.

1. hwally

hwally Out Of The Brooder

Aug 10, 2008
    We have an older rooster that we keep in a seperate pen to keep the other roosters from attacking him. Today someone left the gate open and the other roosters attacked him. His neck and head are without feathers and bloody. He is very weak. Is there anything I can give him for pain or to tranquilize him as he recovers. Our chickens give us eggs and we enjoy their company. We don't eat them. Killing him is not an option. He'll recover. I'd just like some advise as far as food, water, medecines etc to maake his recovery easier. I live in an isolated part of mexico so a trip to the vet isn't a viable option. I can get to a pharmacy if necessary. Also, if you would. please tell me how I respond to the replys. I'm not very good at the computer. Thank you. I enjoy this community.

2. moduckman

moduckman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2009
    Cairo, Missouri
    Sorry for the situation. Chickens are like that. The other roosters will eventually kill it. It has already been submissive. If you know someone that would like to have a rooster, I'd give it to them. What tends to happen is he will eventually just "give up" and die. If you can find him another home without a lot of other roosters he will do better.

3. Renee

Renee Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    CALIFORNIA
    Hi there,
    You can crush up and dissolve 5 (five) 325 mg aspirin in one gallon of water for pain relief.
    I would clean the wounds with a betadyne and water solution, or with a saline solution if you don't have betadyne, and then dress the wounds with neosporin or another anti-bacterial ointment.

Oh yeah, and you can give him cool scrambled or hard-boiled eggs if he is not eating well. Many people on this site advocate yogurt- my chickens really like it.

Good luck.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2009
  4. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    to reply to the post click on post reply type in your message then click submit

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by