Injured silkie... need some advice PLEASE!!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by leah_c, Jun 27, 2010.

1. leah_c

leah_c Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Something got into the chickens last night and killed one and took off with another (both silkies). The other one, also a silkie is injured on its leg. was out in the run this morning with the rest on the chickens, all about 8-9 weeks old, and now is in the shelter. It did eat from my hand but just wondering if I should be bringing it in with my 3 5 week old frizzles. What can I do about the wound?

2. hd_darcy

hd_darcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Bump for you! Hopefully you get some answers....and also very sorry to hear [​IMG]

3. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    I am new to all of this, but I would say treat the wound as your would your own. Keep it clean, maybe some antibiotic ointment, and a good rest for the gal. Maybe some extra protein if the wound is deep.

4. MuranoFarms

MuranoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    Clean it and apply antibiotic ointment. Use the kind without pain medication. How deep is it?

5. leah_c

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the advice!! I wondered if I could treat it like I would one on my kids. We lost two more last night. Racking my brain trying to figure out what I can do to save my remaining 6. The wounded Silkie IS eating and drinking. It has been getting some extra treats and plenty of rest. I'll clean out the wound! Thanks again!!

6. MuranoFarms

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    You might want to get some blue kote. If the wound is red other chicks will pick at it. Blue kote turns it purple and then they won't pick at it. lol Weird but true!

7. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You need to find where it is getting into the coop, and make the necessary repairs. As long as it can get in, it will keep getting your birds. Heavily dust flour around the coop to make its tracks show, then you can determine what it is.

8. MuranoFarms

Nov 14, 2009
    Boyers, Pa
    You need to find out where the predator is getting in and block the area. Any idea what is getting in? You can get safetraps at TSC if you want to try to trap the critter. What you do with it after that is up to you. It knows where the 'free chicken dinner' is though, so if you don't get rid of it it will keep coming back. Maybe post in predators and pests for that part of the problem. You might want to bring them in at night for a few days till you figure out what to do. Good luck!

9. Gordonhillfarm

Gordonhillfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    Maine
    Dido on all the advice you have gotten so far , the flour tracking awsome advice . And I certainly wouldn't leave them out , I'd bring them in or cage them securely . I have fluffy bottoms too ( sikies ) that are only a couple of months old . I put them in the pen during the day but put them to bed in a safe cage at night .I'm terribly sorry for your loss , But take action like they were your children and you wont lose anymore. Anytime there is a wound Clean it , Blue cote is a very valuable tool , chickens love to peck at other chickens wounds .

10. leah_c

May 13, 2010
    Wisconsin
    The flour is great advice!!! Would have never thought of that!!! We had to let our Beagle loose due to some flash flooding but have him back now and he is tied up near the coop as well. We know where it is getting in and thought I fixed it last night but I guess I was wrong. Will hopefully fix it tonight!!! Hubby I think is gonna put up his game camera too. Don't really have room for them in the house or I'd bring them in in a heartbeat! Thanks again for the great advice and sure hope I won't need anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by