Injured Silkie - What Else Can I Do?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Captain Cluck, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Captain Cluck

Captain Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Central Florida
    OK, I am definitely keeping them separate from now on.
    (Yes, I know I am stupid for allowing the dogs and chickens to mix. I just need some advice, please?)

Can anyone give me any suggestions of what else I can do besides wait?

We recently got ducks and chickens, and our 4 year old American Eskimo and 5 month old chihuahua had never seen chickens or duck before. We let the birds range in the back yard all day, and let the dogs out while supervised periodically during the day (they usually only want to go out when I go out to care for my flocks). The dogs are fascinated by the ducks and chicks and love the excitement of flapping wings. The reason I usually supervise them.

The dogs were let out in the yard around 6:30 pm unsupervised while the ducks and chickens were out in there (thanks to my 5 year old grand daughter).
    Usually the dogs will run past the birds looking for poop to eat (eew - how do we stop them from doing that?). Once the Eskie tried to tackle my big drake, but I stopped her, thinking she would quit.

At 7 pm, my daughter found one of the 9 week old silkies laying in the grass and the dog was laying next to it. There were some clumps of feathers next to the chicken and some of them were wet, so my daughter thought the chicken was dead and lit into the Eskie with a solid scolding. Then she scooped up the chicken and brought it into the house. It was still breathing hard, so I thought that was a good sign. We don't know if it is a hen or a roo.

We checked it all over, and found a little blood near the left ear. We put a little peroxide on the spot with a q-tip- it looked like a tiny tear in the skin. The chick is now on pine shavings in a rubbermaid tub locked away from the household. It has food and water available. I did put a little apple cider vinegar and a little sugar in the water. I don't have the raw vinegar. Was that the right thing to do?
    Should I give it some Rescue Remedy?
    The room is 88 degrees and the ceiling fan is on to circulate the air (we don't have air conditioning). I have a mesh fabric over the top of the tub to reduce the air on the chick and to discourage it from jumping out if it feels better in the morning.

We tried to get the chick to drink, but it doesn't seem to want to. We dripped one drop of water at a time into its beak and it swallowed some, but we stopped giving the water when it stopped swallowing the drops.

It is very limp all over. It can hold up its head, but lets it flop off to the side or backwards onto its back when it tries to move. We have it setting on its keel with its feet under it like it was sitting normally. It did let loose some watery bowel movements a couple of times.

I told my daughter that we need to let the bird rest overnight and see what to do tomorrow. If the chick is in shock, how long will it take for it to recover? If it is paralyzed, I am prepared to cull, since it would not have a good life, and I am not able to be a caregiver to a paraplegic chicken.

Have I done the right things? Is there anything else I should or could be doing? How can I stop the dogs from chasing the birds? My last dog was a border collie and she never bothered our chickens. Our yard is too small to cross fence. I was hoping to continue to let the flocks roam the yard all day, but now I guess I may be asking my husband to build me some large pens (Hmm, or maybe just pen the dogs)

Or I may be re-homing the dog if she is guilty of chicken snatching and won't stop.

UPDATE: The chick is still rather floppy, but can flex its feet and wings a little and has shuffled forward in the bin. The feet are warm so I am thinking that is good.
    It is acting like its back is strained. I have it propped up with shavings to keep it from falling over on its side.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    How is the lil one today???

3. Captain Cluck

Jun 19, 2009
    Central Florida
    Thanks for asking- Chickie-picky seems a little perkier today.

She seems to be feeling just a wee bit better. Still very weak, and tips over toward her right side when she tries to move around in her tub. She seems to have better control of her left side & stretches he wing & leg on that side.
    She can't stand, but sort of wiggles to a new position. She catches herself and shifts back to an upright position when she starts to tip.

I believe she is eating & drinking since she seems perkier so I am hopeful.

My daughter called her friend who had studied veterinary medicine and it was suggested that the bird might have a dislocated vertebrae or joint or a pinched nerve. I am wondering how do you do chiropractic on a silkie? [​IMG]

I figure we will give the chick about a month to recover and watch her to see if she is suffering or improving. If she doesn't improve or is suffering, i will have to do the deed, since my daughter is soft hearted and sqeamish. (It's her pet)

Is there anything I can give for pain? Anything else I can do for her besides wait? I am keeping her in a room with the ceiling fan on to keep the temp around 88 degrees, and keeping everyone else out. (Well, Thora, the declawed cat who is terrified of the chickens came to check on her - I shooed her out, fast)(we didn't have her declawed - she came to us that way)

edited for spelling *sigh*

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Good luck with your hurt Silkie.
    You can give aspirin for pain. Dissolve a baby aspirin (81mg) in a quart of water, or a regular strength (325mg) in a gallon.

Imp

5. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    88 degrees is pretty hot - can you cool things down a bit?

YES, re: the Rescue Remedy.

Electrolytes for shock - a bit of Gatorade or Pedialtye will do in a pinch if you don't have poultry electrolytes on hand. You can also spritz on nice cool watermelon, cut up grapes or other refreshing fruit that she likes.

Aspirin water for pain if no active bleeding and if internal bleeding is not suspected. Usual dose is 1 baby aspirin per cup of drinking water and five 325mg aspirins per gallon of water. I don't know if for any reason the dose should be less for silkies. Aspirin is also an antiinflammatory which can help with injuries. An avian vet might prefer to use Metacam but you can start out with the aspirin.

JJ

Last edited: Jun 27, 2010
  6. Captain Cluck

Jun 19, 2009
    Central Florida
    Thank you. I put Rescue Remedy and a crushed baby aspirin and 1/4 tsp of cider vinegar in a quart of fresh water. I also gave her 1 drop of rescue remedy on her little comb and 1 drop in her mouth. tehn I put some of the medicated drinking water in her mouth using a dropper.

I can't get it any cooler in that room and it's the coolest room in the house. It's in the 90s+ here and we don't have air conditioning.

I'm not sure if I should put a frozen bottle in with her or not. She seems comfortable and is not panting. She only struggles when someone is picking her up, ao I limit touching her. She wasn't easily handled before her injuries.

She shifts to get comfortable and ends up truned around. She can reach her food and water easily.

7. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Good job.

You can add another fan, not directly aimed at her, but to help move the air around. Makes a huge difference.

If you don't have the new pet version of Rescue Remedy (non alcohol base) dilute with water before giving by mouth.

Not sure about mixing all 3 things together in the water at the same time - ACV, aspirin, RR. I'd be inclined to leave the ACV out for now.

JJ

8. Captain Cluck

Jun 19, 2009
    Central Florida
    Tanks for the encouragement and advice.

What will the combination I am giving her do? Will the ACV cancel the RR or the aspirin? Or or you think it is too much "cure" for what ails her? I am still learning about chickens.

Well, the bad news is she is still moving a lot like a Parkinson's patient. Jerky and not totally in control of her movements.
    The good news is, she is perky, alert and talking to me.

She decided to sit in her food bowl to stop from falling over (since the chick water dish made her wet and the jar doesn't leave much room to sit [​IMG] ), so I gave her an identical bowl to sit in lined with shavings and fresh feed in the food bowl. The temps don't appear to be bothering her - she is fluffed up a little. I have a mesh fabric over half the top of her tub to discourage jumping (just in case) , keep off too much of the fan and to give a little sense of privacy.
    I will find another fan and put it in to circulate more air, though the ceiling fan is moving it pretty well (10x10 room).

Since she is not contagious, she can take as long as she likes to recuperate, as long as we can control/relieve the pain.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by