Injured Silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by StephBreeden, Sep 29, 2013.

1. StephBreeden

StephBreeden Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2013
    So I made a previous post about my silkie being spooked by a fox and she is lame in both legs. Here is what's going on now. She is breathing with her mouth open. Now she is not making any noises whatsoever and I even held her beak shut and put my ear to her face...no noises or struggling to breath at all. I swabbed her throat and it was clean as a whistle. She is inside with me always on clean towels. Her poo is perfectly normal most of the time. I do have to handfeed her food because she doesn't care for it much but its good for her so she just has to deal. She is getting plenty of fluids and she gets poly vi sol vitamin every day. I was exercising her legs today and got very slight movement from her toes. Not sure what her injury is as she has no visible signs of injury except her legs don't work. Her breathing with her beak open has me puzzled because she shows no sign of anything to cause her to do this and the swab was clean. Any suggestions?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Do you think that she could possibly have Mareks disease, and that it was a coincidence that symptoms started just after the fox came around? Was she vaccinated?

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Did she have access to something toxic or poisonous or bad food?

4. StephBreeden

Sep 24, 2013
    I know what it is. Just figured out this morning. I'm a smoker and apparently she can't breath around it so I'm no longer smoking around her. Noticed when I had got up she wasn't breathing with her beak open so thank goodness that is solved : ) thank you.

5. StephBreeden

Sep 24, 2013
    [​IMG]
    This is her.

6. StephBreeden

Sep 24, 2013
    yes she was bought from our local TS which requires vaccination to receive them from across state lines. I'm the only one with chickens in my neighborhood so there is 0 chance of any chicken transfer diseases. Thet are 100% free ranged with a small amount of laying pellets. Their coop is immaculate with absolutely no mites, or any creepy crawlies and they are wormed every year. I am 100% sure there is no health issues or diseases. Maybe she hit her back or head on something but it can't be in her spine because her head moves fine and she's always flicking her tail feathers. Plus after the spook she walked back to the coop so that would (I think) rule out broken bones or spinal damage. I don't know her condition is very confusing because there is no reason for her to be lame. She has no pain, no swelling anywhere, and no heat in her legs or joints.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by