Injured sparrow

TJAnonymous

Enabler
Feb 29, 2020
Central Arkansas
Last night I noticed my dog chasing something around a garden cage I have in the backyard. The dog can't get in the cage but she was running around the outside and lunging at the fencing (chicken wire). I thought maybe it was a mole or a rat but after grabbing a flashlight I discovered it was a sparrow. It's wing was clearly injured. I managed to catch it and think it's leg is broken as well. I put it in an infirmary tub I use for my chickens. I honestly thought it would die overnight from shock. To my surprise, it didn't. For clarity - I HAVE NOT picked it up again since putting it in the tub. Just occasionally peek in on it. (I have the cage covered with a blanket to keep it calm.)

Anyway, it has a little bit of birdseed and fresh water. From what I can see through the cage, it's leg is still broken but it was flying better today. I was going to leave it in the tub for a few days until it looked generally healed. Then take the tub outside and take the lid off. I'm trying to avoid handling it at all...

My concern is about the broken leg. Can a wild bird survive with one leg? I can try to find a wildlife rehabilitation close by but I doubt they will help a wild sparrow... 😕

Google wild bird rehabilitation in your area, there may be a rescue near you that will take the bird.
Yeah...I looked. The closest one that deals with migratory/song birds is well over 4 hours away. Not feasible for me or the bird. I'm just going to have to make due and hope it heals on its own. Or learns to get by with one foot....

Is it eating and drinking?

There is an avian splint manual if you are interested in seeing if you can possibly fix it yourself.
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
Yes... It is eating and drinking. I'm pretty sure the wing has healed too... But the leg is definitely broken at the knee. I haven't tried to examine it closely because I don't want to handle it unless absolutely necessary but from what I can observe through the cage, I have some doubts as to whether the leg can be saved. It can fly... But it's balance is shaky when trying to stand or perch because it only has 1 functional leg

Little fella passed away this morning in my hands. He looked good yesterday. Was eating fine. This morning he was all puffed up so I knew he was cold. He was also gasping. Not good. I figured it was either shock or sepsis. Poor little fella. I tried....

Back
Top Bottom