Injured tail feather

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chicky1714, Jan 24, 2017.

1. chicky1714

chicky1714 New Egg

Jan 24, 2017
    My hen got injured on her tail feather. There is no bleeding, but I see a small cut/wound. It's not open but she's under shock. What should I do?

2. Oneofthempeople

Oneofthempeople Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2016
    Wisconsin
    Pull her out from the others, double check make sure there is nothing else injured and let her fell safe and keep an eye on her.

1 person likes this.
  3. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    If she is under shock i would isolate her for a while and give her eggs and tuna often and drop water droplets in her mouth with a 3cc syringe.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    1 person likes this.
  4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    If she still seems to be in shock, isolate her from any other chickens in a warm, clean place. Give her some different foods if she doesn't seem to be eating her normal chicken feed: scrambled eggs, mealworms, fruits, vegetables, etc. If you can get them, you could also put some poultry vitamins/electrolytes in her water. As for the wound, you can put some antibiotic ointment, like Neosporin, on it or spray it with a wound spray like Bluekote or Veterycin.

Make sure to check her over for any other wounds, too. Chickens tend to get mild injuries to feathers, combs, and toenails all the time, but don't usually go into shock. If your hen isn't acting right/appears in shock, she could have further injuries or an internal problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by