1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured toe giving her a limp

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Spikes Chooks, Dec 17, 2012.

1. Spikes Chooks

Spikes Chooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    My 6 month old RIR has been slightly limping for a few days and now I notice one toe to the side (the left in these photos) is at a less acute angle than the equivalent on the other side. And it appears to have swollen joints or maybe a break. She has become slower than usual when running - she is Top Chook so not being picked on but is now last to a call rather than first. She is eating and drinking well and otherwise seems healthy, though her comb seems paler than usual to me. She started laying a month or so ago and, as well as layer mash has access to shell grit and they all free range in the afternoons. I gave her PolyAid Plus today (eloctrolytes, to help with any shock).

I held her whilst my husband gently felt both feet. She did not pull away the foot with the injured toe. When he felt the other one, so he could compare it, she pulled that up away from him. He could not feel or see any swelling, hot infection, cuts or anything else to indicate that was the cause of the problem

What elee could I do to help, if anything?

Thanks! I am worried for her.

In this photo, the left foot and the left-most toe seems to be the problem. Compare that to the angle and straightness of the other side.
    [​IMG]

There seem to be two sweelings on joints, or break points maybe?
    [​IMG]

The toes bumps and lumps come up vertically as well.
    [​IMG]

We do live on a fairly rocky block, with a number of places she could have taken a fall or landed too hard.

Thanks for any help or advice you can offer,

2. Spikes Chooks

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    Bump

3. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    I hate to say it, but it could be Merek's.

4. Spikes Chooks

Sep 10, 2012
    Sydney, Australia
    [​IMG]

It's nearly a week since I first noticed her limping and this is improving. Her toe joints are less swollen and she's not limping much at all.

However, a cvouple of days ago, she developed this raised area - maybe a lesion of some kind? on her comb. I have felt it - seems to be raised, but she didn't flinch like it was sore or anything. Should I put something on it - I have Betadine. You might notice she has the last peak on her comb missing. Three months ago it was bloody like it had been pecked, then the tip fell off. At the time the girls were being dive-bombed by an aggressive magpie which had her baby with her, and I put it down to that. There is very little aggression I see between the four chickens - and I've never seen any on her as she is top chook.

Please give me some advice - is this even further indication of Marek's? She is eating, drinking and laying as normal

Thanks!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by