Injured toe.

Pebble_Bunny

Chirping
May 10, 2023
My male 11 month old Indian Runner duck injured his foot 3-4 days ago, I'm not 100% sure how but I do believe it was when he went through the doorway into the house/passage as that is where the blood was, I let my ducks free roam the garden as I get no wild animals ever and often when they want attention or get bored they come to the back door and try to get inside the house, normally I leave the passage door open as they enjoy to sleep in the passage but I don't keep the door that leads to the actual house open otherwise the dogs may harass the ducks. They are normally perfectly fine when walking into there but I had gone to check on them and there was blood everywhere... Though the ducks were acting like nothing had happened I went into pure panic and checked both their feet as there was no other visible injuries. That is when I spotted it, my duck had a little cut between his web and his toe so I put him in the shower to I could clean it up then I went to sort out the indoor cage (is normally for night time) but on arrival back to the shower something caught my eye, Duckington never stands on one leg unless he is sleeping yet he seemed to have been only on one leg... when I open the door to the shower he put it down but seemed uncomfortable and kept bringing it up and down, he continued to limp around my room before I picked him up to have a look, it turns out I didn't notice but he had a cut on his other toe that seemed to have swelled up a bit. I did bring him to the vets but like normal they just gave us some meds and that was all.. They didn't even really look at his injury at all, I believe they aren't used to getting ducks as they seemed very iffy about touching them or how to handle them... I have been giving him the meds which are meant to help with the pain but he still seems to uncomfortable and unhappy. I'm just unsure what to do as he loves to walk around and keeps trying to walk but every time he does he nearly falls over as he just limps... I also have another duck which is perfectly fine but as I only have 2 ducks they are at this point soul bonded and cant leave each others site but due to this they both have to stay indoors in a small cage (so Duckington doesn't move much I had made their indoor cage smaller then normal) but this seems to be upsetting my other duck Buddy who is full of energy 24/7, my parents have told me when I'm at school it's none stop quacking from Buddy as he doesn't have anything to do in the cage unlike Duckington who luckily is just relaxing and laying down. I was wondering if anyone had any good advice on how to maybe help Duckington feel more comfortable but also how to keep Buddy entertained while he is indoors. (I can't get a photo of his injured toe, he just wont let me as he hates being picked up and I don't really wanna stress him out atm...)
WhatsApp Image 2023-05-10 at 11.20.02 PM.jpeg

Did they give you an antibiotic or Meloxicam for Pain and swelling? You could start soaking his foot in warm Epsom salt water which can help with swelling and inflammation.
Can Buddy be outside for a while during the day? do you have an enclosed run? At least Buddy would be able to move around more and that may help with boredom.

Did they give you an antibiotic or Meloxicam for Pain and swelling? You could start soaking his foot in warm Epsom salt water which can help with swelling and inflammation.
Can Buddy be outside for a while during the day? do you have an enclosed run? At least Buddy would be able to move around more and that may help with boredom.
Sorry for not answering, I didn't think anyone answered to my thread. Duckington's foot is very swollen but he doesn't seem to be in any pain anymore so I have now just been taking them outside again while keeping a watch of his foot to see if it get's worse better. (so far nothing had changed 0 pain but swollen still). Also no I can't separate the two of them, they just cry and scream for each other as they've been together since they were babies. I do have some Epsom salt I just have no bath... I'm unsure where to put it as they love to drink it so I don't wanna put it in their pool but if there is no bad effects from them drinking it then I'll just put it in the pool?

Last edited:
Just checked what they gave me, it was Metacam for dogs as they have nothing for ducks. No I don't know what the hell Metacam is as they didn't talk to me as they wouldn't let my ducks come in the building (Bird flu I believe is high at the moment) we had to stay outside so I watched over the ducks and my mum went inside to get it...

Metacam is basically the same as Meloxicam.

Still pushing bird flu eh? They finally cut it out in the USA.

To use Epsom salt without them drinking it use a bucket. Put warm water in and the Epsom salt mix it well then put the duck into the bucket feet first so he is standing up. Keep hold of him so he doesn't jump out. if you can get him to stand in the bucket for 10 mins you've done good, But 5 mins is better than nothing.

Metacam is basically the same as Meloxicam.

Still pushing bird flu eh? They finally cut it out in the USA.

To use Epsom salt without them drinking it use a bucket. Put warm water in and the Epsom salt mix it well then put the duck into the bucket feet first so he is standing up. Keep hold of him so he doesn't jump out. if you can get him to stand in the bucket for 10 mins you've done good, But 5 mins is better than nothing.
Yeahhh no vet in my area let's birds in the actual building and some just don't take birds at all... It was very expensive also. I'll see if I can find a good Bucket and he probably will stay in for about 5-ish min I would be shocked if he let me hold him for any longer then that without him freaking out... I don't know what happened but Duckington HATES being held or picked up he just get's so scared... I feel so bad picking him up or holding him, I'm very unsure what happened as he was never this bad, I don't believe anyone was mean to him or anything but it does all ways go through my mind that maybe I did something wrong..? Buddy my other duck used to be a little iffy with being picked up but that was just because he likes being picked up in a VERY specific way, I have to let him sit his feet on my hand while I put my other hand under and around it chest/side area so I am supporting all his weight pretty much. Duckington I try to the same and also try a few different places where I put my hand but nothing works he just hates it, I go to pick him up and he RUNS while Buddy just stands there and waits... He even sometimes starts to shake... It's just so upsetting to watch... And yes I have tried treats, even his fav cat food and still no.. He doesn't even come close to me when he thinks I may be trying to pick him up even if I have treats... 🙁

Well just keep this in mind your trying to help him. You need to treat this toe and he may not like it but he will get over it. Most of my ducks don't like to be picked up either but sometimes I have to.

Back
Top Bottom