Injured Toulese goose and Runner duck with bumblefoot. Need advice please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by firekraker, Feb 21, 2012.

1. firekraker

firekraker New Egg

Feb 21, 2012
    Good Morning all,

I am a new member here at BYC. My wife and I have are new to poultry and fowl. We have owned a small flock of chickens for 2 years now. Last spring we added some ducks and a goose. One of our runners recently came down with a case of bumblefoot (according to pictures on here). We have moved her into a small pen in the house and are cleaning the wound daily. I went to the local farm supply store and they didn't know what Bumblefoot was and had no advice. I am a trauma nurse who just recently retired from the Navy. While I do have medical experience, I can say tended to an injured goose and infected duck is not as easy as plugging bullet holes in Marines.

I decided to buy some hydrogen peroxide for the ducks foot and I found an item called Vetericyn at the farmers supply. It is a wound and infection Hydrogel that is sprayed onto the site. I bought it because it says it kills E Coli and Staph (MRSA). With my medical knowledge, I assumed that the foot infection was probably one of those two bugs.

My question is should I be treating her with antibiotics internally? If so, what type? And is it oral or injectable. And lastly, where on earth do you inject a duck.

Ok the second part is our goose. He was missing his girlfriend, the runner duck. So, my wife brought him into the house to see her today. Well, as she was setting him down back outside he appeared to slip on the cement. He then started limping around and acting as though he was almost dizzy or drunk. I brought him back into the house and put in him our jacuzzi tub with Epsom salts. He swam around just fine. But once back on the ground, he stumbles and falls. I do not think the leg is broken, I think perhaps he just sprained it when he slipped. Any ideas on what to do with the big guy?

Thank you for any and all help.

Brandon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by