Injured/Trauma/Shock HELP

rogu789

Hatching
May 13, 2015
We were putting in our chicken today and my five year old daughter took a stick and hit a chicken hard (I don't know where on the chicken). The chicken immediately began to spaz out and fly around all over the place in a crazy manner before it collapsed to the ground. We picked her (the chicken up) and the neck was slightly bent and tried to see if she could walk. She wobbled when she walked and seemed very lethargic. We placed her in the coop and she just stood there and closed her eyes without moving. What should I do? Is the trauma very serious or will it pass?

Luvmy9hens

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 26, 2012
Upstate NY
Discipline your child and teach her that her behavior is unacceptable. If she was not sorry for her actions, it would raise a red flag...

rogu789

Hatching
May 13, 2015
i should reiterate that she is sorry and it was just something stupid she did. She has been disciplined accordingly.

Luvmy9hens

Chirping
7 Years
Sep 26, 2012
Upstate NY
How is the hen and what symptoms is she displaying right now? Do not place her back in the coop with the others. Remover her and place her in a box / Rubbermaid container etc. in a warm, quiet area. Monitor her behavior, eating habits, and bowel movements. Is she responsive? Can she stand? Is she "fluffed up"? Is her tail down? Are her eyes and nostrils clear of mucous/drainage? Is her abdomen swollen? Is her breathing raspy? quiet?

Last edited:

Top Bottom