Injured turkey still alive (photo in post)

Eudy

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2022
I have a youngish royal palm turkey that got attacked by the neighbors’ dog today. He looks terrible but he might pull through - I say this because although all his feathers got ripped out, the exposed skin & fat doesn’t actually look like it tore through to any organ or muscle exposure that I can see, and I don’t see any open bleeding.

He’s in rough shape but he was able to lift his head a couple of times and held it up while we carried him to the barn. I got him on some clean straw and covered his back with a towel just so the wound wasn’t exposed. Any other suggestions what I can do would be welcome. The nearest vet is over an hour away so we’re kind of on our own, though there’s a farm supply store in town.

Attachments

• 3F668291-0901-4ACF-B0CD-9F09C391BEE6.jpeg
    3F668291-0901-4ACF-B0CD-9F09C391BEE6.jpeg
    670.1 KB · Views: 18
I don't raise turkeys, but for general wound care I thoroughly rinse out the wound the with saline or an antiseptic solution (chlorhexidine, vetericyn, etc) then liberally apply plain neosporin (double check that it is fine to use with turkeys). I keep the bird in the house in a clean crate/box and do not bandage or cover the wound.

A little sugar water might help him get over the shock.

Back
Top Bottom