Injured Vent

sumodaz

Hatching
Jul 10, 2022
Hi,

Last night our chickens our free ranging in our garden, running around and having a great time. No problems. After putting them back in their run, I checked on them 2 hours later and found 2 of the girls with blood on their beaks. I then saw that one of the chickens was huddled in the corner, with her vent covered in blood. It was obvious that the 2 chickens had been pecking at her vent.

What I have not been able to figure out, is whether this was bullying or the chicken suffered some kind of prolapse and the pecking was a result?

I bathed her in warm water, cleaned the vent which was a real mess at this stage and disinfected the area. She is now isolated and looking very sorry, although she is moving around a little and drinking water. I have attached a photo which I warn is not so nice but if anyone can take a look and suggest some further action it would be really appreciated. I can't figure out if this is a prolapse or just a swollen mess? My question is where do I go from here? Another bath tonight? Anything else I can do?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20220710_160030.jpg
    20220710_160030.jpg
    410.9 KB · Views: 8
Welcome To BYC

Do you know if she laid and egg yesterday?

I'd continue to care for the wound, keeping the tissue moist with ointment.

The discharge is concerning, it may be urates from leaking poop, but possible she's trying to expel a soft shelled egg.
I'd keep her hydrated and get some Calcium Citrate into her, 1 tablet daily to help with contractions.

Welcome To BYC

Do you know if she laid and egg yesterday?

I'd continue to care for the wound, keeping the tissue moist with ointment.

The discharge is concerning, it may be urates from leaking poop, but possible she's trying to expel a soft shelled egg.
I'd keep her hydrated and get some Calcium Citrate into her, 1 tablet daily to help with contractions.
Thanks. I'm not sure if she laid and egg yesterday? What kind of ointment is best for keeping the tissue moist?

Neosporin is okay. Silvadene (Rx only) is better. Also, she needs to be protected from flies, who will lay eggs there and then maggots, awful.
Get her eating! Maybe a wet mash of her normal diet, cooked egg, bits of cooked meat, something. Scratch grains are better than nothing too, all short term. She needs to eat!
I don't know if the equine Swat ointment is safe for birds. Anyone?
Mary

Back
Top Bottom