injured week old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ilovemychickie, Dec 16, 2011.

1. ilovemychickie

ilovemychickie New Egg

Dec 16, 2011
    I rescued a week old baby chick that got stepped on by a horse. The leg got broken (almost severed) and it can't stand or walk on its own. How often would I need to give water and food? How can I heal this injury? It is bleeding (little) and I'm afraid it will get infected. Don't have money for vet now [​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow. Honestly, I would probably cull it, depending on the extent of the "almost severed" leg. If the leg was almost severed, it sounds like it would need to be removed, and I couldn't handle doing that myself. If you can't get it to eat/drink, that would be the most merciful thing to do, IMO.
    However, you can try offering the chick bits of chopped hard boiled egg or scrambled egg. And you might try apple cider vinegar or electrolites in the water - try a dropper if dipping the beak in the water doesn't work. [​IMG] Sorry about your chick...

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    I have to agree with teach1rusl about the culling. That bird is going to have a pretty poor quality of life if it even survives. I would give the poor thing a quick death.

Sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by