Injured Wild Duckling

violinmom07

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 20, 2012
WA
Hi,

My neighbor knows I have chickens and a duck, so she brought me a duckling she found on the road. She is fully feathered, but small. I'm guessing 12 weeks? Her bottom bill is offset from the top. I've given her electrolytes and kept her warm and she's perked up, but droppings are runny and she hasn't eaten, drinks a lot. I'd love to nurse her back to health because I have a solo duckling near her age, but I don't know the legalities and it's the weekend so there isn't even anyone to call. Suggestions?

I am not sure if Tiffany, who runs that rescue that Goin Quackers mentioned, can help.

It is illegal to keep a wild duckling and there should be a wild animal rehab near you. I would suggest searching around for a place like that before you decide to keep it. Keeping it for a few days (over the weekend) while you find a place to take it shouldn't cause you any trouble with the authorities. In my opinion, I don't think you have anything to worry about if you plan on releasing it as soon as it is well. 12 weeks old is usually old enough for a young duck to be on its own. I've seen ducks with very deformed bills do OK on their own.

Hi,
I remembered a wildlife center near here and took her up there. They thought the off set bill could be congenital. I know they'll take good care of her.

Thanks for the replies :)

Hi,
I remembered a wildlife center near here and took her up there. They thought the off set bill could be congenital. I know they'll take good care of her.

Thanks for the replies :)
welcome-byc.gif

UPDATE: Sad news :-( I called the wildlife center to see how the duckling was doing. It turns out she had a broken jaw that was unable to be set and she had to be euthanized. I felt so bad.

I'm sorry about your duckling. On the legalities of wild creatures, it is permissable, except with specifically protected animals like eagles, birds of prey, and such, to keep them to nurse them, but they most be free to leave 100% of the time. They can be in a box set in the top of self in an open garage (to protect them) but they must never be 100% confined. In the case of your duckling, I know it makes you sad, but with such a trauma, she would have died more slowly had you kept her.
hugs.gif

Hi Goin Quackers! I'm glad to see you were here, I know you are very knowledgable about animals injuries. I feel better I can knowing I can PM you if I need.

Back
Top Bottom