Injured wind - could I eat it?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Sabz, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Sabz

Sabz Songster

Mar 27, 2013
    Quebec, Canada
    The chicken I processed yesterday was chosen because of an injury he gave himself. He ripped the super thin skin on the first joint of his wing. The bones (like the elbow) was poking out of the skin. In a matter of second, a lot of blood had flooded underneath the skin of his wing. I couldn't replace the bone inside the skin and decided he wouldn't recover well, so I immediately killed it (he was a meat bird anyway).

I threw out the injured wing. I should have taken a picture, didn't think about it on the fly. Should I have eaten the wing even with the blood accumulation? I guess the blood is not in the muscle, it is really between the muscle and the skin, so maybe if I skinned the wing.. but even so, I was worried it wouldn't be healthy or.. I don't know! Maybe part of it was discuss, because of the blue/greenish color of it.

Here is the end result (of course I kept the carcass, neck and the back muscle for broth). In this pic there is no injured wing, it was already in the compost pile.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: