Injured wing and/or foot?

RootDownAcres

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 6, 2013
Springfield, Ohio
On Friday I went into my coop and found a hen huddled in the corner. I picked her up (which she normally wouldn't let me do) and sat her down where I could look at her and she was letting her wing hang down. I figured it must be broken. We have too many roosters and are in the process of culling them, and lately they have been aggressive so I figured they must've done it.

I went to figure out what to do and get bandages to wrap her wing when I heard a hen squawking and ran over to find 2 roosters on top of her attacking her. So I grabbed her and got her out of the coop and put her in a large dog crate. I observed her and she would hold her wing normal and only occasionally let it hang. I felt both wings and neither felt like there was a break and she wasn't particularly tender anywhere.

So I thought I'd keep her isolated from the flock and observe her, so I kept her in the crate inside the coop. She's been eating and acting normal, aside from not wanting to do much and not resisting when I pick her up. So yesterday (Sunday) I pulled her out of the crate and sat her down in the coop to observe her and she walked over to the food bowl with a limp (but was holding her wings normal). I picked her up and examined her feet and legs and on the bottom of one of her feet it looked like crusty green poop stuck to it. So I picked at it to see if it would come off and it appeared to be a crust on her feet. I did a search online and the only thing I could find was bumble foot but her joints aren't swollen and the crust looked green.

So I still wasn't sure if it was poop or what so I soaked her foot in warm epsom salt water for 5 minutes and then the green crust turned to soft brown gunk. So I figured it was poop but then when I wiped at it with the towel it still appeared to be some sort of scab on her foot. So I soaked it again today and there is less of it. I rinsed it with peroxide. She's in the crate in the basement now and when I took her in the bathroom to put the peroxide on she wouldn't walk on a towel (or the tile) so I can't tell if she's still limping.

So I am wondering:
1. What could this foot condition be?
2. I don't think her wing was broken, only sore from the roosters attacking her, and could they have attacked her because she was limping and she appeared weak? I have a rather nervous hen that the roosters seem to single out so I am thinking that maybe they go after the weaker hens?

Thanks everyone for your help!

Missy

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
13 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
If she has a scab on her foot, maybe she has an infection that's spread? If a hen becomes an easy target, others will attack her. I think I would treat her with antibiotics if she looks sick and listless or not eating. I would soak the foot and feel if there's a hard kernel in there. I would wrap her wing against her body for the time being.

Not knowing the chicken, that's probably would I would do.

Top Bottom