1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured wing - any suggestions on how I should treat this hen?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by nkkennedy, Mar 2, 2014.

1. nkkennedy

nkkennedy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2013
    St James, New York
    My Coop
    Unfortunately, I went out side today to bring my girls some left overs this afternoon and I found my silkie hen bleeding wither her feathers ripped out of her wings. I will post pictures below.

This morning she was fine, I let my hens out of their coop into their pen. The pen is completely closed off from predators with 1/4 inch hard wire mesh from top to bottom. So I do not believe this was a predator. The other hens were not picking on her and did not seem to have any problem with her when I first found her or after I put her back in the pen after I cleaned her up.

Any ideas what happened to her?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I used warm water to clean her wing off and then rubbed Neosporin on it. She is back on in the coop with the other hens. It looks brown and slimy now. Any suggestions on how I should continue treating her?

The other hens do not seem to have a problem with her and are not picking on her.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    First i would separate her b/c if any chicken sees this wound,they will peck/pick at her relentlessly. Bring her inside,keep her warm,make sure she is eating/drinking.

No idea on what happened,some possibilities are,catching on loose wire,other chicken pulling out feathers then pecking at her. Is she your only silkie and is she a relatively new addition to flock,reason i am asking is sometimes a fancy breed(due to the fact they look different)will suffer pecking/attacks.

Is it possible brown/slimy look is caused from antibiotic ointment/blood? Clean wound again.

3. nkkennedy

nkkennedy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2013
    St James, New York
    My Coop
    Thanks for your input. She grew up with the other chickens so she is part of the flock. I am guessing that it looks brown and slimy from the ointment. Since she is happy sleeping in the coop tonight I was thinking I would go pull her out first thing in the morning and clean it again. So far the other girls have treated her like normal. If I see they are picking on her I will immediately pull her out. However, I am hesitant because I don't want a problem re-introducing her to the flock.

I am going to try cleaning it with some peroxide in the morning.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by