injured wing help!

zenstarling

Songster
Jan 17, 2022
Connecticut
we just had a bobcat lurking and my girls got spooked. they were secure in their run but we heard them all take flight and start alarm calling.

my barred rock’s wing looks like this. she can’t fold it under, won’t let me touch it, and if she tries to flap it she loses balance and flops over. to be clear, the bobcat did not get IN the run, so I’m not sure what happened in the scuffle to cause this.

I can separate her in a pen in my garage for now. does anybody have any suggestions otherwise? I have no idea how to help her. thank you
F5BFFF13-25B4-43F1-8A30-32C56BBF557B.jpeg

Hi! I would separate so you can assess her. Have someone hold her and carefully check the wing out. Feel the good wing of you can't figure out what's wrong. Give her sweetened water to drink for shock/pain.

If their is injury I would strap it to her body. My hens got attack by a raccoon and one was not looking good her wing was like yours. She wouldn’t move but made a full recovery. Even if there is no visible injury she could have sprained her wing. I’m so sorry!!! Keep us updated

we just had a bobcat lurking and my girls got spooked. they were secure in their run but we heard them all take flight and start alarm calling.

my barred rock’s wing looks like this. she can’t fold it under, won’t let me touch it, and if she tries to flap it she loses balance and flops over. to be clear, the bobcat did not get IN the run, so I’m not sure what happened in the scuffle to cause this.

I can separate her in a pen in my garage for now. does anybody have any suggestions otherwise? I have no idea how to help her. thank you View attachment 3502409
yes separate her and keep her warm and make sure she stays hydrated. For the wing, I do not know what to do, but I would think that you would make a splint of some sort, but I think only make a splint if someone else on here says to because it could hurt her more if you put pressure in the wrong areas. Try limiting her movement so she gives her wing a rest

yes separate her and keep her warm and make sure she stays hydrated. For the wing, I do not know what to do, but I would think that you would make a splint of some sort, but I think only make a splint if someone else on here says to because I dont want you hurting her
A splint would be good but strapping her wing to her body works a little better. As we all know chickens don’t always do what they are supposed to and I have found that wrapping it to her without something in it works better. But your instincts were right @babychickens321:

Back
Top Bottom