1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injured wing or Neurological issue?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ladywolf, Nov 22, 2013.

1. ladywolf

ladywolf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Farmington, NH
    I have an approximately eight month old Wyandotte pullet who seems to have lost the use of one wing. Can this cause balance issues or do we have something else going on here? She can walk/stand normally as long as she goes slow. She cannot get up onto a roost. She is in good weight, eating/drinking well and laying normally, but will tip over if she leans too far forward. Her left wing flaps just fine but her right wing does not move and she holds it somewhat down. I found no breaks but it is sitting at a different place in relation to her left wing. We did Vetwrap her wing to her body to hold it in place and have her in a small dog carrier in the coop.

We do have a major bully in the coop (we call her BB for Big Bi#@!) and she is constantly knocking the other hens off their perches, could this be related?

Thanks All!

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Was she vaccinated for Marek's?

-Kathy

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My first thought would be that she could have Marek's Disease. Other diseases, like Newcastle, can also cause neurological problems.

4. ladywolf

ladywolf Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2011
    Farmington, NH
    I do not know if she was vaccinated but she did come from a state tested/approved flock. She is banded. However, I do not know where my landlady's chickens came from...

I have done a bunch of reading on here as has my daughter and as her symptoms have worsened we are fearful of Mareks as well. Since it could also be several other things, she is isolated and we are giving her extra vitamins and keeping an eye on her. Should she pass, I will be having a necropsy done.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    You can get a healthy chicken and then they can get Mareks from your property or soil. It is fairly common, so vaccines are good to get, it's just that not too many vaccinate their won chicks hatched at home, unfortunately.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by