Injured young Am Buff gander

Discussion in 'Geese' started by lilcrow, Feb 9, 2013.

1. lilcrow

lilcrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    I have a pair of Buffs and for about the last week or 10 days I had noticed my gander standing on one foot frequently. I'm ashamed to say that I didn't think too much of it since it's been so cold I thought he was warming his feet. This morning when I let them out of their enclosure, I saw that he was limping. After looking at it as close as I could without catching him, I can say that it appears to be an injury (cut maybe) on the top and outside edge of the outside toe on his left foot. I have chickens and I most accustomed to doctoring them, and I've had no reason to need to doctor either of the geese. If it was a chicken, I'd just bring him in the house, wash it off, apply triple antibiotic ointment and wrap it with a bandage. I would then keep him confined until it healed and he no longer limped, however most of that I don't think would work with my boy, William. I can catch him and wash the foot, also put ointment on it, but I don't think he will tolerate a bandage or being in the house. I have a large dog crate and could confine him in that, but it that the best thing for him? Any help offered would be very much appreciated.
    Oh and I'm sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd think the best thing right now would be to catch him so you can really examine the foot and see just how bad the injury is, infection etc. if you can use a bucket of warm water with some Epsom salt dissolved in it that would help clean it up too. or some betadine mixed with warm water to look like weak tea, then try to keep him where it's reasonably clean whether in a large dog crate or in a pen. if it's infected he may need to be on some kind of antibiotic for a while if it look okay them just some triple antibiotic salve or Veterycin spray maybe be all that's needed. Right now since it's been going on for 10 days is making sure how deep the cut is and if there is infection. Please post back what you find.

3. lilcrow

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Thanks, I'll get on it right now and post tonight how we did today.

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

5. lilcrow

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    OK, I went and got 4 bales of shavings and using one of my 8x8 runs, I put them in there with the shavings VERY deep. I was not able to hold him and soak his foot at the same time, so I called a friend of mine and he is going to come over tomorrow morning and help me either hold him or look at it and soak it. As much as it is hurting him, I'm going to guess that it is infected. I have a few antibiotics that are water soluble and I could treat his water this evening at least. I have gallimycin, teramycin, and tetracycline, of those three do you have a suggestion of which one to use or should I just wait until Gary gets here in the AM and we treat him then.
    I'm certain he needs an antibio. so starting tomorrow what would you suggest.

6. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    all the antibiotics you have mentioned are not for blood born infections they are for respiratory and or bacterial pneumonia and bacterial enteritis&stress. this is according to the medicine chart I have that Twin City poultry sent me wit an order i got from them, they recommend Penicillin powder or tablets for blood born infections from scraps or cuts. you can also get inject able pen all of these are available at TSC or feed store. if you go with powder it rec. 1/2 to 1 teaspoon to 1 gal of water for 8-10 days also Aureomycin for most bacteria infections.I'm thinking your best antibiotic is going to be the penicillin either powder mixed in water or injectible if the infection looks really bad. Can you tell if it looks very swollen?

7. lilcrow

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    No, it's not swollen, it is rather scabbed up on the top of the toe, that might be what's hurting him so much also.
    I've got tablet/pill form Penicillin, but I don't know if I can give him pills every day by myself. I'm 65 and have rheumatoid arthritis, just not as strong and agile as I once was. Maybe tomorrow I'll be able to tell if he's going to be REALLY difficult, if so I'll get the powdered pen. from TSC. He's not mean at all, but he is BIG anyway I'll give you a progress report tomorrow.
    Thank you so much for staying with me on this and answering me so quickly.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Crush the pen pill then add to his water. and your welcome, I am in my 60's too and know it can be hard to handle a gander or goose for that matter by oneself, they are strong. Thanks for keeping up the updates. Hope to hear from you tomorrow. I'll be thinking about you and him.

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Any news on your gander?

10. lilcrow

Apr 13, 2009
    New Vienna, Ohio
    Whew, long day..........sorry it's so late getting back to you. I had a friend come over this AM and help me hold him while I soaked his foot and cleaned it off. After close inspection and getting it cleaned up I was relieved to find that there was no cut or puncture and the sole of his foot is fine. It appeared that he had raked the toe across something and skinned the top the full length of it. I had got him into an empty, covered run, so I bedded him down in deep shavings yesterday and put him and his girl in there. I used antiseptic spray that was also a kind of bandage/sealant so I think it is at least somewhat protected from the dirt. I think I'll also be able to spray it daily without having to go through the big production of this AM. He was a very good boy all things considered and aside from getting slugged in the lip with a wing all went well and without incident. I feel very relieved that it's going to heal well since there is no break or deep wounds.
    Thank you so much for your help it means a lot to me. I am very fond of my geese and it would have broken my heart to have lost him or had something really bad happen to him.
    Gratefully......Nancy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by