Injured Young Buff Brahma

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by yeswehave8, Jul 2, 2016.

1. yeswehave8

yeswehave8 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2014
    Hubby made the mistake of throwing table scraps in the pen with the babies loose with the big girls (we've been keeping them close, but separated, I do not know WHY the babies were loose)... anyway, he said it happened really fast, they attacked the 7-8 week old BB girl and they got the back of her neck pretty good. He was right there and snatched her out pretty quickly and immediately isolated her. I've now cleaned it twice with diluted peroxide and have coated it with triple antibiotic ointment.

I see no active bleeding this afternoon, but there are a few beefy red spots, I can see her neck ligaments pretty well and there is this swollen grayish thing to the right when I hold her (her crop?)... I am no vet, nor is a livestock vet available, so I am kind of winging here... no pun intended. She *seems* ok. She is eating, she is drinking, defecating... she peeps, looking for her siblings, but we have her in the house now. I just wish I had a better idea what I am looking at, what is worrisome and what is not. I have hubby looking for some Blu-Kote, but I do have straight genetian violet, too, from our nursing days.

Keep doing what I am doing? Is the eating/ drinking a good sign? We brought her in because flies are a big issue out there right now, and I didn't want them getting her. Just looking for a little guidance. I can share a picture, too, if someone can tell me what is normal and not.. I just didn't want to offend anyone.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  2. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Nobody here gets offended by graphic photos, trust me.
    They are actually very helpful.
    As far as I can see, you are doing a great job caring for her.
    Keep the area clean and don't try to reintegrate her until there is no more redness.
    You are a good chicken mama!
    Keep us posted, please. I hope she recovers quickly!

3. yeswehave8

Aug 13, 2014
    Thanks, it looks terrible, bless her
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. CluckerCottage

Poor thing, I'm so sorry for you and her.
    Try to keep her hydrated and get some Sav-A-Chick to put in her water. Feed her scrambled eggs and tuna.
    Also, Vetericyn Wound and Infection Treatment spray is a great product to use.
    Best wishes!

5. yeswehave8

Aug 13, 2014
    I got the Vetricyn today and just used it... it must burn or itch, because she has been pecking at her own back since I put it on. She keeps trying to shake it off, and is suddenly preening, too. I did not use that much, maybe 2 sprays? Is this normal? I don't know how to keep her off of her own neck! I also have chlorhexadine, but I don't know if that is going to be less irritating? I have Blu-Kote coming, could not find it locally, but it won't be here until Thursday.

The one spot in the first pic (I think it's a purple spot) is kind of beefy red, I am hoping it's granulating tissue. Otherwise, she is eating, drinking and pooping all normally. I've given her scrambled eggs a couple of times, too. I am assuming the extra protein is what she needs?

6. CluckerCottage

Yes, she needs extra protein. Glad she likes the scrambled eggs! What did you think about the Sav-A-Chick for her water?
    Not sure why your girl is reacting badly to the Vetericyn spray, sorry.
    Never had that happen with my birds. I wish you the best with her!

7. yeswehave8

Aug 13, 2014
    Just wanted to report Lacey is fully healed and is happy to vet back with her flock. Now that I see how it looks all closed, I'm amazed she didn't die or suffer more. She's turning into a beautiful little hen.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by