Injuried pekin duck with eye and hip injury.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Lboom, Sep 27, 2015.

1. Lboom

Lboom New Egg

Aug 30, 2015
    So I took on a Peking duck that is in really bad shape. She is bald from the top of her head down her back. Looks like from a drake getting too aggressive. Plus on top of that had a dislocated hip along with missing top part of her eye lids. She was attacked by a dog. The previous owners couldn't take care of her since they are leaving town. So I decided to take her. I have dealt with leg injuries before, but never dislocated hip. Plus the eye problem. Not sure if antibiotics will help or if I should take her to a vet (if I can find one). Do you wrap a leg/hip that is dislocated? Some of her neck area too is cut bad, so what type of spary or ointment will help. I have been raising ducks for 2 years, but never have experienced an issue like this. Any advice will help.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Just found this post….

Glad you are trying to help her.

A good duck vet would be best. In the meantime, I would rinse off any wounds with saline solution or Vetericyn spray, and put an antibiotic cream - not greasy ointment, but cream - on the wounds. (No painkiller, as that can be toxic to waterfowl.)

So she was abused by a drake and attacked by a dog? Oh, no.

I think I would give her as much time floating in a lukewarm tub as possible for now, and consider building her a sling to get the weight off her legs.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    @JadeComputerGal - any thoughts?

4. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA

My goodness. Not many people would take on a duck like that, so bless you Lboom.

Amiga, I don't have much more to offer than you did, but thanks for tagging me. I think we need some more info here about both the eye and the hip. @Lboom , can you take some pics of the eye? For the hip, Amiga gave you the best advice that can be given without vet intervention. Help her get the weight off to make her more comfortable. Pekins are very heavy ducks when they're in good health, so foot/leg issues can be very painful for them. It's similar to how very overweight humans are more bothered by issues with weight-bearing joints.

Are you sure she has a dislocated hip or are you or the previous owners determining that by symptoms? If she really does, it's going to depend on how long she's had it for even a vet to do anything about it. Injuries that have existed for a while are often impossible to completely correct. She sounds like she's had a ton of mating injury. It's an awful thing, what the drakes can do to the ducks.

Do you know an avian vet who can see her? We can send you some vet locator links if not. Avian vets are pretty common near metropolitan areas, but not so much in rural areas.

5. Lboom

Lboom New Egg

Aug 30, 2015
    [​IMG]

This is what the back of her head looks like. They where using some spray called Blu-kote. I have always used the Vetericyn spray on my ducks wounds. I took her drake from her today. She couldn't take care of the one either since she has no safe place to keep him. I have been doing the warm baths for her. The right hip looks dislocated since it sticks way out, but she won't use the left leg at all. I have compared her hips to my other Perkins, so there defiantly something wrong with the right. I have been putting neosporin without pain on her head, but not near the eyes and using the the vetericyn spray She is fighting. But as far as the leg goes, not sure what to do about it. I found out today since the lady dropped off the other duck to me that the injury with the dog happened 2 weeks ago. So fixing the leg might be past it's time especially if it has already started healing that way. I don't know of any Avian vets in the area, but maybe a farm vet? Would a sling help at all?

6. Lboom

Lboom New Egg

Aug 30, 2015
    [​IMG]

Both her eyes are missing the tip eyelids. Like I said she is in rough shape, but eating and drink normal.

7. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    Some of this stuff I read on BYC is really stranger than fiction. I simply cannot understand how anyone would let a duck get into the condition this one is in. You must be an angel. I don't think I could have found it in myself to take the drake. I guess it goes without saying that you're keeping them separated?

I can't give you advice about the sling, but I can't see that correcting anything based on what you're describing. Slings are more for recent acute injury. If you have the means to take her to a vet, I really do think that's your best option. I don't know what a vet could do, either, because it's going to depend on what's wrong. Dislocation is different from break. When humans have an untreated break that's begun to heal, the break sometimes has to be rebroken to correct it. I can't tell you whether vets do that with ducks, but I've heard of it done with dogs.

Here are some vet links:
    http://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803
    http://www.majesticwaterfowl.org/vetfinder.htm

@Amiga , @casportpony , @Miss Lydia , @jtn42248 , @WVduckchick , any ideas? I don't mean to neglect to mention any of the knowledgeable people on BYC, just getting the ones I can think of right away.

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    She is probably too heavy to try and stand on the leg that isn't injured and I imagine the one that is injured is pretty painful.. I believe your not suppose yo use Blue Kote around the eyes. if I have to treat the face I use a qtip but I really like Veterycin spray so if you have that it is safe to spray around the eyes and face.Keep her from the drake for sure and for her to still want to eat and drink means to me she wants a chance. I hope you can find a farm vet that will see her and be able to help her. Bless you for giving her a chance. and the drake too. Have you tried putting her in some warm water enough so she can float and see if she can use her leg at all? @Lboom

9. Lboom

Lboom New Egg

Aug 30, 2015
    Yes she is separated from the drake. I have more drakes right now than females, so all my females are separated from the drakes right now. I have her separated in a small area away from all the ducks, but they can still hear and see one another. When she is in the bath she does use both legs. But she only tries to stand on the right one when I put her down in the coop. She moves around in a circle with her wings.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If she likes the warm water and you can be with her while she is in it I'd let her float as often as you can and if she is using her leg maybe just maybe this isn't as serious as it seems and doing water therapy will help her gain strength. I am dif not a vet but seems if her leg was dislocated she wouldn't have much use of it and to use it in water where the weight is off gives me hope. Bless her heart and yours. Please keep us up to date on how she is doing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by