1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

injuried peking duck

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chelsea1796, Dec 29, 2014.

1. chelsea1796

chelsea1796 New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    I hope someone can help me out on here. I came home to find my peking duck completely covered in blood from head to tail. We think he was attacked by either a raccoon or fox in the middle of the night. We brought him into our barn and set up a nice enclosure with hay. The first couple days we've been giving him sugar water to come out of the shock. He is walking around and drinking and eating. The only thing is he still can not see. Whatever attacked had him by the head. He has both of his eyes, but there's still just so much dried blood. My question is what could i put on his eyes to start to get them open. A warm washcloth doesn't seem to be doing the trick. I just need my baby donald better again :( [​IMG]

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] sorry for the circumstances. If he were mine, I would irrigate his eyes with eye drops and then apply some ophthalmic antibiotic ointment. Good luck.

3. chelsea1796

chelsea1796 New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    Thank you so much! Just normal eye drops is okay for them?

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would make or buy a mild saline solution, and use that to irrigate. There is also a product, Vetericyn, and you can mist the eyes gently with that. But saline ought to work fine.

I would also let the duck swim for a while in lukewarm water, to rinse off really well, and so you can get a good close look. Check under the wings, around the vent for puncture wounds. Start thinking about oral antibiotics in case you need them. Ducks are resilient, yet can get systemic infections after puncture wounds.

1 person likes this.
  5. chelsea1796

chelsea1796 New Egg

Dec 29, 2014
    Thank you so much! I had him in a pool and he was cleaning himself up pretty good. Every day he is making progress its just the eyes need to heal now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by