Injuries and wounds

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DeerHunter, Dec 29, 2011.

1. DeerHunter

DeerHunter New Egg

Dec 29, 2011
    I have 4 New England Reds, about 2 weeks ago I noticed one had 2 open wounds. One of the other chickens was pecking at the open sores. I separated her from the others, to allow her to heal. She is doing fine, still laying daily. My questions are, how long before she regrows her feathers? And when should I reintroduce her back to the group? And is this normal behavior?

2. BamaSilkies

BamaSilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2011
    NE Alabama
    Im not sure how long it will take for the feathers to grow back maybe someone else could tell you that. I would spray with blukote and give it a time for the sores to heal. It shouldnt take long the heal fast. I would keep it blukoted until they do. Chicken will keep pecking a scabs and then get really vicious when the blood starts. the Blukote will deter the pecking. I wouldnt take out any longer than I had to because she will be at the bottom of the pecking order and get picked on even more. I would keep her in with them but maybe in a cage so they can see her but not hurt her any more.

3. klmclain1

klmclain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2011
    I had one of my chickens attacked by a small dog. She had all of her tail feathers ripped out and some wounds as well. I sprayed all the wounds and the bare skin where the tail feathers used to be with a ton of blue kote and left her with all the other chickens. They didn't bother he at all. That was about 7 or 8 weeks ago. All her tail feathers are back and the wound healed! My opinion - as long as the blue kote can "hide" any red color of wounds - no need to segregate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by