Injury duck wing

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Dbianca55, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Dbianca55

Dbianca55 In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2019
    Hello so I have a question on my duck.
    I heard her crying and ran outside well my dog was chasing her around.. everything seemed fine when I brought her in but I started to notice red under her wing. My dog bit the tip of her wing.. she is a Pekin duck named Sunny she is about 8 to10 weeks old.. I dont know what to do for her and I'm very afraid she will get sick or possibly pass. I live in Vegas so to take her to an emergency vet it's over 100$. If anyone can help on what to do in the mean time until I can come up with the funds. Please and thank you in advance.

Attached Files:

Skye'sDucks likes this.
  2. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds All quackd out

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    Try not to panic, that doesn't look too bad. For now I would just rinse it off and apply some pressure to stop any bleeding. If you have some antibiotic ointment you can put some of that on there.
    Put her somewhere warm clean and safe for the night to let her recover from the shock. tomorrow check her over for anything broken and go from there.

Miss Lydia, DuckyDonna and Dbianca55 like this.
  3. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds All quackd out

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    I see this was your first post. .sorry you've joined us under less than ideal circumstances but. .. :welcome
    I hope you like it here!

Miss Lydia, DuckyDonna and Dbianca55 like this.
  4. Dbianca55

Dbianca55 In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2019

Miss Lydia likes this.
  5. Dbianca55

Dbianca55 In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2019
    Thank you so much for your response. I dont really have any animal ointment but I do have like neosporin for us humans ? Would that be ok to use ? I am so new to the duck life.. and yes I am new I had to make an account I saw so many supportive and good answers I had to join.

6. Orca5094

Orca5094 Songster

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Only neosporin that does not have the added pain relief is ok to use. The ingredient they add for pain relief for humans is toxic to ducks. If that is all you have, just clean the area up with water and maybe a tiny bit of soap for now. Try to pick up some antibiotic ointment (without pain relief) or some other kind of wound disinfectant safe for animals as soon as you can and clean the area and apply that a couple times a day. Should heal up fine since it doesn't look too bad. How is her behavior? Is she acting and eating normally? No shock? Sometimes they can go into shock after an attack, which is often more dangerous to them than the wound.

Dbianca55 and Miss Lydia like this.
  7. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Free Ranging

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Hi, and welcome to BYC!:welcome
    Where are you located? If in the US, do you have a Tractor Supply near you? If so you could get some vetericyn spray to put on the wound after you clean it up and dry it. You can order off of Amazon too and it's really good to have on hand for these kinds of emergencies. Here is the amazon link but if you've got TSC near you that would be quicker!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WP7LGPT/?tag=backy-20

If you do have a TSC one other great thing to have on hand is B-complex liquid. It's so useful for all kinds of things especially leg issues with those big pekins, it's just plain good for them! This is what the bottle looks like and you can find it in the cattle section of TSC. Same thing, different labels.
    IMG_0251.JPG

Dbianca55 and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Mary Did You Know....

And secure your ducks so this doesn’t happen again even in play dogs can severely injure or kill. I hope your duck make a full recovery! :welcome

shawluvsbirds and Dbianca55 like this.
  9. Dbianca55

Dbianca55 In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2019

10. Dbianca55

Dbianca55 In the Brooder

Jul 24, 2019
    Thank you so much I will look into this !

DuckyDonna likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: