1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injury from a cat. Please help.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Miss717, May 6, 2011.

1. Miss717

Miss717 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Rushville, NE
    I have a 5 week old chick that got attacked by a cat. Bad wound on the back of its neck, but not bleeding much and no apparent internal injuries. What can/should I do?

2. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    Keep it in the house and keep an eye on it, maybe clean the wound with Betadine. feed it good stuff...yogurt, cooked eggs

3. Miss717

May 5, 2011
    Rushville, NE
    Quote:Thank you will try anything. Don't want It (him/her?) to die.

4. naakte

naakte Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Branson, missouri
    use blue cote if you have it. and keep the baby warm. was it your cat?

Donna in Branson

5. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    cuddle it alot [​IMG]

6. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    You need to deff clean it two to tree times a day. If it scabs over take the scab off. It needs to heal from the inside out because of the grems inside a cat's mouth. Have had this happen with wildlife babes, and that is how we do it to keep it from getting infected and dying. Good luck, hope for a quick recovery.

7. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Sorry about your little one. Make sure you dilute the betadine to the color of weak tea.

8. Caliphe

Caliphe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Hi! My cat bit my favorite 4 week old chick several days ago. Here's what I did:

Wash the wound if you can - this is important, because cats harbor a lot of harmful bacteria. If you have any neosporin (or store brand antibiotic cream) WITHOUT pain additives, dab that on her wound. When you can, get to your local farm store and pick up something called Blue-Kote. It's an antiseptic spray with violet additives. The antiseptic helps to keep it clean and help it heal, the violet will prevent other chicks from pecking on the wound. Clean and re-apply every day. Warning though, spray the blue-kote outside, because it will go everywhere and does stain. Keep her nice and warm and content and she should heal up just fine!

Good luck!

Last edited: May 7, 2011
  9. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Some antibiotics wouldn't hurt since a cat bite can indeed be nasty. I am just not sure what is best for a small chick. Penicillin g injectable from the farm store is good for wounds, but I do not know the dose. You could try something that goes in the water, but I have heard the injectable is better. Good luck!

10. Miss717

May 5, 2011
    Rushville, NE
    Quote:Yes it was my cat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by