Injury from Fox Attack(graphic)

TehLizardKing

Songster
7 Years
Jul 29, 2012
Lincolnshire
Hey, so I've got a post in the emergencies section but I was advised to put one here too, I'd love the help of some fellow duck people. If it's a problem to have more than one thread on the same issue I apologise

So one of my lovey Muscovy girls was very lucky to be saved from Mr Fox by my dad not last night but the one before. She sustained what looked like fatal injuries but they're proving to be much less of a big deal to her than I thought they'd be. Here's the link to the original thread but there's not much on there: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1135562/fox-attack-on-duck-help-needed#post_17587208

I've put a sterile linen tied with a bandage over the large wound on her back and cleaned it with colloidal silver. She had a small puncture wound underneath her right leg but that has now scabbed over. She's also been bathed in citrus to keep the flies away. She's drinking fine but hasn't touched her food. I'd appreciate advice from anyone who's willing to help because I've always kept birds but I am very new to ducks and I love my four so so much, they're quickly becoming my favourite animals. I'll go get some pictures of her poop and the wounds now in case that helps. Thank you so much guys!

Her poop (virtually nonexistant)

Close-up of Injury (it's not covered by feathers in the picture, that's the full area)

Skin ripped off her leg

Puncture in foot pad

My gorgeous girl <3

She is a very pretty girl! And lucky, too.
1f642.png
I raise Muscovies and chickens, and there are a lot of predators around here that like both.

I had a pullet that suffered a large tear in the skin of her breast from debris during a windstorm. She was basically ripped open with a large flap of skin hanging loose. I briefly considered euthanasia, but the injury only appeared to be external, so I put her in a crate, cleaned the wound as best I could, and sprayed it with Vetericyn three times a day. She was probably in shock initially (subdued, not eating normally), but soon perked up with some electrolytes added to her water. Amazingly, that large wound healed in a couple of months and now she's indistinguishable from her sisters. A true testament to the body's ability to heal itself!

If you can get Vetericyn, I think her back wound would benefit from it. The foot injury (puncture) causes me more concern because ducks are always walking in wetness, the perfect conditions for infection. Keep checking it and clean it periodically. Hope your girl has a speedy recovery!

She's looking a lot better today, she walked a good few steps and is drinking a normal amount... and just looking not as ruffled and generally perkier. She's still not eating, when do you think I should intervene with that? This is day three. I've put some sweetcorn, a few small pieces of apple and some chick crumb in her water so she's getting some nutrients but she isn't looking interested in anything.

Yes thank you, FoodFreedom, I'll get some of that. Your poor pullet! I'm glad she recovered okay, I was considering euthanasia on my girl too in the first couple of hours because she was such a mess. The body really is amazing isn't it... the birds themselves too. If I'd been attacked by a wolf in the dark I'm not sure if I'd be the same afterwards, mentally. I'll make sure her foot is kept clean too, and there's no way I'm letting her in the pond or the mud. Its warm today, so I've put her out on the lawn (because her foot hurts her too much to walk far, she'll stay put) with a bowl of water and another of corn in front of her and her flock are sat next to her for moral support (my drakes don't mount the girls because they're so young or else I wouldn't let them near her right now). I'm gonna move her back inside in a little bit but she looked so miserable in that gloomy crate all day yesterday. Thanks for all the help guys.

She's looking a lot better today, she walked a good few steps and is drinking a normal amount... and just looking not as ruffled and generally perkier. She's still not eating, when do you think I should intervene with that? This is day three. I've put some sweetcorn, a few small pieces of apple and some chick crumb in her water so she's getting some nutrients but she isn't looking interested in anything.

Yes thank you, FoodFreedom, I'll get some of that. Your poor pullet! I'm glad she recovered okay, I was considering euthanasia on my girl too in the first couple of hours because she was such a mess. The body really is amazing isn't it... the birds themselves too. If I'd been attacked by a wolf in the dark I'm not sure if I'd be the same afterwards, mentally. I'll make sure her foot is kept clean too, and there's no way I'm letting her in the pond or the mud. Its warm today, so I've put her out on the lawn (because her foot hurts her too much to walk far, she'll stay put) with a bowl of water and another of corn in front of her and her flock are sat next to her for moral support (my drakes don't mount the girls because they're so young or else I wouldn't let them near her right now). I'm gonna move her back inside in a little bit but she looked so miserable in that gloomy crate all day yesterday. Thanks for all the help guys.
She sure sounds like she's on the mend, but it would be good to see her eat. That's the "litmus test" for me - if an animal won't eat for an extended period, it seems like a sign that they're not going to make it. My guess is that your girl is probably still traumatized but should start eating soon.
1f642.png

Thanks - Astrid, the Australorp pullet, is a tough bird and it really was her will to survive that pulled her through. She's a beautiful hen now, laying very nice eggs. I'm just glad we gave her a chance!

You're doing a good job! I look forward to more updates on her progress.

You may want to get a scale to weigh her.

I would guess she's on the edge of when she should be recovering from being in shock.

Majestic Waterfowl has a FB video on syringe feeding, and @casportpony has a thread called Go Team Tube Feeding that may be helpful.

I wonder if there may be a mouth injury discouraging her from eating.

Sorry about the wait to reply, I'm doing A levels lol. Somehow, she's recovered completely! I am absolutely amazed, she was certainly on death's door. I want to thank you guys for all your help. Unfortunately that fox got to another duck last night, and I'm just about to start a new thread about it... will this never end!?

Sorry about the wait to reply, I'm doing A levels lol. Somehow, she's recovered completely! I am absolutely amazed, she was certainly on death's door. I want to thank you guys for all your help. Unfortunately that fox got to another duck last night, and I'm just about to start a new thread about it... will this never end!?

So glad to read your girl is recovering nicely. Ducks are amazingly hardy. Often the biggest hurdle is to keep them from perishing due to shock. Yes, the body heals itself pretty well. Only concern I had was reading about a deep puncture. Keep an eye on it, as they need to heal from inside out. They don't normally get stitched closed, due to that reason. I read it scabbed over. Just keep an eye on it.

Hope this helps. Good luck and enjoy your ducks.

Back
Top Bottom