injury from injection of vaccine-day old chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by seminolewind, Mar 17, 2012.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I vaccinated my 8 chicks for Marek's and one just went floppy and rolled around and couldn't get back up. I don't know what to do now. Any advice????

2. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I really DO need some help

3. EmAbTo48

EmAbTo48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    Northern Wisconsin
    Well I could only say that maybe you injected to far in? Went into the muscle instead? You should go under the skin and feel a bump after you inject it. Maybe the chick was not healthy?

4. Smallflockchickens

Smallflockchickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 1, 2012
    Arizona
    Sorry, I don't know what to do in this situation but maybe separate it off from the rest and watch it. Good luck [​IMG]

5. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Thanks, the chick was healthy, and still acts healthy, but falls over unless he's leaning against something. I had him in a mug with a paper towel just to keep him upright, gave him some mash and some water. He climbed out of the mug. So I put him back in the brooder but in a small cage not too near the heat. He's been sleeping. I hope this wears off.

I guess I stuck something I shouldn't have. I guess I'll just have to wait and see. [​IMG]

6. Smallflockchickens

Jan 1, 2012
    Arizona
    Are his legs normal? Do they look curved in or anything?

7. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

How is it today.......

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Well she was laying on it's side with it's head back and feet straight out, but if moved, she could squirm around to a side wall and stand up till she fell over again. No better this morning, she would eat and drink, but she didn't look like she was getting better. We tried to keep her in a mug as well but she would climb out of it and roll around

We euthanized her. So sad. I'm laying off the chicks for a while. [​IMG]I have a hatch in the bator, then that's it for a while.

9. Smallflockchickens

Jan 1, 2012
    Arizona
    Aww, I'm really sad to hear that, but you put s/he out of its misery. Euthanizing is so hard! [​IMG]

10. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry girl. I have stopped using the Mareks vaccine as the last few times I've used it I had chicks die. Mine seem to do better with out it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by