1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Injury from other chickens on Butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JustinaMarie, Oct 21, 2013.

1. JustinaMarie

JustinaMarie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Western Pennsylvania
    I just got this hen and the guy that had her, the other chickens beat up on her what can I do? Can i put anything on it? Its a mess will the feathers ever grow back? She is a silky.

[​IMG]

2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    You need to keep her isolated for now... clean up her backside and apply honey... her feathers will grow back in time!

Silkie chickens are normally very passive amongst a flock.... once she is in a better condition I would suggest that you introduce her slowly to any other chickens you have.

Good luck!

3. JustinaMarie

JustinaMarie Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2013
    Western Pennsylvania
    What does the honey do?

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Honey has natural antibacterial properties, it will soothe her sore backside and helps healing... it contains hydrogen peroxide ( a known antibacterial agent )

5. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'd put on some antibiotic ointment, without any painkillers or "caine" ingredients in it. Keep her isolated from other birds until she heals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by