injury help...my polish roo head still being pecked. advice please

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ldutch123, Dec 21, 2011.

1. ldutch123

ldutch123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Ok what should I do...my polish roo is being pecked in the head. This has happened ever since we got him. They girls he is with are a mixed flock one polish hen, wyndottes, BR, marans, red sex links. Ok here is what I wonder if we should do. Should we put him and the polish hen in with the chicks? They are 4 months old all hens of mixed flock no polish. I was thinkin this because they r still not full.size and maybe wouldn't pick on him. What do u think??

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Due to the difference in size, it will probably work for at least a while. Mixed flocks tend to pick at the crests of Polish. The habit can sometimes be broken if they are allowed to free range. Once the habit starts, it is very difficult to break.

3. jamesnoldsr

jamesnoldsr Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    North Central Texas
    There are products you can get at feed stores that discourage chicken picking. Its a fairly common problem, especially once they draw blood- then all of them join in. They can do alot of damage in a fairly short amount of time. I would separate him until you can get some of that product to put on him. Poor boy.

4. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Right now he is with 11 hens and they free range all day and I seperate him and fran my polish hen at night. He still gets picked but here and there but the back of his head is bald I coat it everynight with blukote.

5. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    This is a very common problem when Polish are run in mixed flocks.

6. KarenP

KarenP Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Westport
    I used blue coat and sprayed it on her head. I also seperated mine at night for a week. I do agree with the free ranging. It gives them time away from the pickers!!!

7. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

I keep my silkies separate from the rest of the flock. They are just too docile.

8. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    He is such a sweetheart. This pic is of my Fran. She is sweet too[​IMG] img].
    [​IMG] /img]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  9. ldutch123

Nov 9, 2011
    Illinois
    Poor Floyd looks awful. His head is all dirty and blue from the blukote. But he is such a happy roo.

10. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Beautiful Polish, both of them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by