injury! help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by MinisOhMy, Jan 28, 2014.

1. MinisOhMy

MinisOhMy Out Of The Brooder

Hi. So I have this Peking female about two years old (I've only had her a few months) and I've never had an issue with any of my ducks ever getting frostbite or anything, but I think this girl might have gotten it on her foot.
    See I came out to feed and water all my poultry like I always do and I noticed her limping. I checked her out and her foot was swelled! She had a band on that foot(loose fitting) and it cut in. What's the best way to handle this?!
    Thanks in advance for you're help.
    -mini

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Can you bring her indoors for a good soak and bath? You want warmish water, mix Epsom Salts (1/4cup or so per gallon), let your duck soak in that for half hour or so. Do not allow her to drink that water-- it will have laxative properties. Is the band that cut into her foot still there? Picture please?

3. MinisOhMy

Oh no I took that off right away! That's why it started bleeding. But I was afraid shed loose her foot otherwise :(
    My phone is the only access to internet I have at the moment and it isn't letting me post a picture right now. But the swelling has gone down, the bleeding has stopped and she isn't limping as bad.

4. MinisOhMy

Ill try the epsome salt bath. Thanks

5. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    I understand. I still advise you to do the Epsom Salt soak, in fact, you might want to do that up to 4x per day. Epsom salt soaks are my go-to cure all for ducks and humans alike, I have seen many injuries healed by the ESalts. The thing with open wounds is that you don't want them to get infected. Once they do, then you end up dealing with another worse situation. You can do a one-time wash with hydrogen peroxide, but just once, since the peroxide can damage healthy tissue later on. You can also use Neosporin without pain relief (or any medication ending in -Caine).

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    The swelling could be from frostbite. Good you got the band off. I agree with HollyDuckFarmer.

I soak the E.s. solution in a clean cloth and wrap the foot and leg for treating foot and leg problems, that may help.

Can you keep her in a place that is relatively warm (I mean like 40F or so)? A dab of triple antibiotic ointment on the cut, two or three times a day after E.s. soaks ought to go far in preventing further problems.

The swelling from frostbite can last a while. A swim in a tub or large bucket of lukewarm - even chilly but not frigid - water may help get the circulation going and help reduce swelling and help healing.

7. MinisOhMy

I realize this reply is late, but I tried the Epsom salt and kept her in the basement, warmer, but not too warm there. She recovered wonderfully. :)

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG] great news!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by